Sign in with
Your question

New to oc and no clue

Last response: in Overclocking
May 3, 2012 3:53:21 PM

i have the new asrock Z77 pro4-m motherboard , new i5-3570k ivy bridge cpu , antec kuhler h20 water cooling system...i have know clue where to start. if some could send me pics , a video , anything.. of what i should keep enabled , what to keep disabled , keep on auto , voltage settings..as i have the slightest clue. anything would help guys. im trying to go atleast to 4.5 GHz oc stable...a detailed setup would be great , but anything will help..thansk guys ., and much respect to everyone....gary :pt1cable:  :sol:  :hello:  :hello:  ;)  :D  :na: 

More about : clue

a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 3:58:51 PM

That is the best avatar that I have seen in this forum :o 
m
l
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 4:01:18 PM

some will post a guide, but ill give you the basic run down, just up the Multiplier till the frequency target says: 4500mhz, you may have to tweak voltages and other things, thats where the guide comes in
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
May 3, 2012 4:03:51 PM

You're about to embark upon a giant pissing contest the outcome of which is to spend lots of money and time on no tangible results. If this were the "wild west" you'd all be out in the street seeing who had the fastest draw. Why not spend all that time and money on something useful?
m
l
May 3, 2012 4:05:30 PM

What do the signs on the avatar say?

Of course, you have to assess whether its worth the risk to overclock, as that CPU is already VERY fast.

Anyway I'm going to assume that your situation is the same as a 2500k on a z68 board.

Step 1: Set desired clock speed via multiplier. (Base clock x multiplier = final speed)((Dont touch the base clock!!!))
Step 2: Turn on everything your motherboard offers to increase stability. (LoadLine Calibration decreases voltage drop under load, turn that up. Spread spectrum, internal pll overvoltage and other features help too. All the new boards have nice graphic bioses that should explain some settings.
Step 3: Decrease the voltage until the computer cannot boot/run stability tests. (Prime 95 is a very easy to use and very good stability tester.)
Step 4: You now know what voltage is too low, bump up your voltage a bit until it can run Prime 95 stable for at least 3 hours. Some people will say 24 hours, but Im way to lazy for that. :-P
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 4:27:52 PM

guru3d.com
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 3, 2012 4:29:19 PM

ram1009 said:
You're about to embark upon a giant pissing contest the outcome of which is to spend lots of money and time on no tangible results. If this were the "wild west" you'd all be out in the street seeing who had the fastest draw. Why not spend all that time and money on something useful?

Did I miss something? What are you talking about? He is asking how to overclock his cpu. Your statement is a bit offside. Your profile says you joined the forum in 1970? Tom's only dates back to 1996. Strange indeed.
m
l
!