csquared587

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2007
I just ordered a crucial m4 60 gb as well as an adapter to fit it into my case. I plan on using the ssd as my OS drive as well as put a few programs on it that I use frequently, and keep my 1tb drive for data.

My question is, how do I set this up? I assume I just have to unplug my old drive, hook up the ssd to the mobo, install Win7 on the ssd, and then plug my old 1tb hdd back in and set my pc to boot from the SSD drive in the bios. Is this correct? Sorry if I am wrong, I am new to setting up multiple hdd pcs.

I have an asrock extreme3 gen3 mobo. Thanks for the help.

Yes, you got it right!

cadder

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2008
When I work with 2 drives, I plug in the boot drive and the optical drive, install Windows, then disconnect the optical drive and connect the second hard drive. I turn on the machine and set up the second hard drive, then turn it off and reconnect the optical drive. This will give you a C: drive to boot from, a D: drive for storage, and the optical drive will be E:. If you are experienced with setting up drives in Windows you can put them all 3 in and do it the first time, but I prefer to do it a more foolproof route.

If you install the OS on only one drive, you don't have to tell the BIOS which drive to boot from, it will figure it out.

hunuok

Distinguished
Jul 4, 2009
When I work with 2 drives, I plug in the boot drive and the optical drive, install Windows, then disconnect the optical drive and connect the second hard drive. I turn on the machine and set up the second hard drive, then turn it off and reconnect the optical drive. This will give you a C: drive to boot from, a D: drive for storage, and the optical drive will be E:. If you are experienced with setting up drives in Windows you can put them all 3 in and do it the first time, but I prefer to do it a more foolproof route.

+1.

I learnt this the hard way. Running 2 SSDs and 6 HDD for storage, I've mistakenly formatted wrong drives many a time. Frustrating.

Hmmm....Did everyone forget about changing from IDE mode to ACHI mode in the System BIOS????? :(

csquared587 - When you have your ssd plugged in and start your computer for the first time go immediately into the System BIOS and change from IDE mode to ACHI mode. Also check and make sure the ssd is the primary boot drive. Save the configuration and continue the boot up. Then install Windows 7 on your ssd.

^ +5
Add to johnny's comment. Soulds like you have a Intel MB. Make sure you use the intel Sata Ports (not the marvel sata III). After installation go to Intel and download the latest RST driver, ver 10.6)

Then download AS SSD and verify that driver is iaSTor.
Also verify that Firmware version is 0009 (Newest version and provided a performance boost)

RST driver: http://downloadcenter.intel.com/SearchResult.aspx?lang=eng&ProductFamily=Chipsets&ProductLine=Chipset+Software&ProductProduct=Intel%c2%ae+Rapid+Storage+Technology
AS SSD: http://download.techworld.com/3248894/as-ssd-benchmark-16/