cody4721

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2011
Hi, i have a core 2 quad q6600 @ 2.4 Ghz.

Could anyone guid me what should be the fsb of the cpu to attain a good stable overclock with stock cooler and voltages?

Solution
stock voltages will mean a limit of between 2.7 and 3ghz depending on the chip and the motherboard. The stock cooler is normally ok for under 3ghz with some good thermal paste. the lower end nvidia motherboards are flakey with overclocking the quad cores (650i and 750i) i have owned both. the 750i is ok but has a big FSB hole couldnt get anything to boot between 3.1-3.45ghz, over 3.45ghz is fine, though.....

gmkos

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2011
There is no static answer, you need to tweak it slowly, and doing so safely will require some patience. You should increase the FSB speed incrementally with voltage. The goal is to get the highest FSB speed (stable under prime95 or similar stress test) with the lowest voltage. Also adjust your FSB:RAM as you overclock, ideal is 1:1.

If you're not so concerned about temperatures, the stock cooler can probably get you up to 2.8-3.0 Ghz. With aftermarket cooling, you can get temperatures low enough to push it more. However going past 1.5 volts is not recommended by Intel. If your motherboard can handle it, a low-end aftermarket cooler will keep it cool enough to reach 3.6 Ghz under that voltage. People have pushed the Q6600 to 4.0+ but going there would require liquid cooling and/or would be putting the chip in danger.

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
This answer is going to be a bit different depending on if you are using an Intel chipset or nVidia chipset.

I've had my old Q6600 to 3.6ghz on a 790i board and it was solid running Intel Burn Test for 20 passes.

Intel is a little different, but similar to a degree.

stock voltages will mean a limit of between 2.7 and 3ghz depending on the chip and the motherboard. The stock cooler is normally ok for under 3ghz with some good thermal paste. the lower end nvidia motherboards are flakey with overclocking the quad cores (650i and 750i) i have owned both. the 750i is ok but has a big FSB hole couldnt get anything to boot between 3.1-3.45ghz, over 3.45ghz is fine, though.....

Solution