Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking AMD Phenom II X4 Black Edition to 3.7GHz at least.

Last response: in Overclocking
May 3, 2012 4:37:45 PM

Hey guys,

Total OCing noob here, this is my first time. Any idea what I can try as a good attempt at 3.7GHz and then go up to possibly 4.0GHz? Like what voltage should I try first? I attempted a 1.487v and CPU multiplier at 4.0GHz and got an hour and 10 minutes in on Prime95 and BSOD. But I didn't change the CPU NB voltage or the NB multiplier which could be the reason it was unstable. And the reason I didn't change the them because was because they're disabled on AMD OD, the only 2 I can change is:

CPU VID(Voltage)

NB VID(NorthBus voltage)

But the rest, such as NB core are disabled.

I'd appreciate any help.

Thanks.
May 3, 2012 4:49:09 PM

Thanks for the reply, I remember my CPU NB was at stock 2000mhz when I tried so that's obviously a major fault, however just one question. How would I edit the memory to 2T command rate? I'm geussing BIOS.

Thanks.
May 3, 2012 5:18:08 PM

My CPU is a 955 BE, I have a Sabertooth 990FX and a Xigmatek Dark Knight CPU cooler.
Related resources
May 3, 2012 5:22:00 PM

I see, thanks man. And yeah cool'n'quiet is disabled, I'll try run Ptime95 after and let you know.

Thanks.
a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 2:30:08 AM

And uninstall overdrivel, stick with bios adjustments :-)
Moto
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 1:40:51 PM

3.8-4GHz at 1.375v vcore with 2400MHz IMC/NB 1.2v should be your sweet spot. 1.487v itself probably generates too much heat, and is questionable for long-term operation.

edit: Nothing really wrong with AOD.

It's handy for testing different settings --- then you can boot into the BIOS and tweak a few things.

I suspect you need to take your voltages off "Auto" in the BIOS to open more options in AOD.

a c 103 à CPUs
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 3:31:25 PM

My answer as a little short there Wise, I was on mobile at nightshift last night hehe
I dislike Aod despite it being my first O/c experience and I will always recommend people to learn the 'proper' way instead
although I concede your point about using it to 'test' things out on the fly, that may be a handy use for it
Moto
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 4:27:16 PM

Motopsychojdn said:
My answer as a little short there Wise, I was on mobile at nightshift last night hehe
I dislike Aod despite it being my first O/c experience and I will always recommend people to learn the 'proper' way instead
although I concede your point about using it to 'test' things out on the fly, that may be a handy use for it
Moto

No worries, mate. I didn't make my point fer sheet :D 

I think the OP simply needs to take manual control of his voltages. *Auto* seems to be over-volting him.

He blue-screens at 4GHz 1.487v presumably with a C3 stepping. Volts (and subsequent temps) are killing him. If he sets his BIOS to *Manual* and plays around with the sliders in AOD, he could easily cut 0.1v and 15c in temps.

May 5, 2012 12:34:54 AM

Wisecracker said:
3.8-4GHz at 1.375v vcore with 2400MHz IMC/NB 1.2v should be your sweet spot. 1.487v itself probably generates too much heat, and is questionable for long-term operation.

edit: Nothing really wrong with AOD.

It's handy for testing different settings --- then you can boot into the BIOS and tweak a few things.

I suspect you need to take your voltages off "Auto" in the BIOS to open more options in AOD.

Hey,

I'm trying your recommended setting and I'm hitting 60 DC load running AMD OD, seems a little high?

Thanks.
May 5, 2012 2:01:21 AM

Ohhh don't worry, that was just my room temp I had the door shut and heating on. I opened a window and the temps when down to 57ish on load :) .

Anything I could try editing to get 4.0GHz stable? Like NB freq or voltage?

Been running Prime95 for 2 hours 30 mins now, so far so good.

Temps range from 56.5 - 60.5.
May 5, 2012 2:25:59 AM

One last thing, should I reapply the MX-2 thermal paste I've got? Because the paste on there atm is some I got in a sachet that came with my Xigmatek Dark Knight, this is probably impacting temps.
a c 111 à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 6:18:12 PM

Fancy TIM might be good for a few less degrees -- the important thing is to not use too much.

And ... you're on your own :lol: 

(just kidding)

Every chip is different, and every chip has its own 'special area' --- it's your job to find it. Over time it will become second nature to hop around the BIOS or even AOD for instance, tweaking a few settings and getting the processor just how you like it.

My experience with the C3 is 3.8- to 4GHz @ 1.375v. I've gone lower (and higher!) with speeds and volts, and your chip might, too. That adjustment works +/- 0.0125v. I like to keep the NB VID at 1.15v to 1.2v but many folks find 1.25v is the sweet spot.

Keep a chart with speeds, voltages and temps. Look for the AMD *volt wall* You might go 3.9GHz @ 1.388v 55c ... but ... 4GHz takes 1.425v at 60c. Look for those jumps/anomalies in voltages and temps.

I like to work at load 50-55c -- max spec is 62c. Anything less than that, let her rip at your preference.

May 6, 2012 8:15:41 PM

Wisecracker said:
Fancy TIM might be good for a few less degrees -- the important thing is to not use too much.

And ... you're on your own :lol: 

(just kidding)

Every chip is different, and every chip has its own 'special area' --- it's your job to find it. Over time it will become second nature to hop around the BIOS or even AOD for instance, tweaking a few settings and getting the processor just how you like it.

My experience with the C3 is 3.8- to 4GHz @ 1.375v. I've gone lower (and higher!) with speeds and volts, and your chip might, too. That adjustment works +/- 0.0125v. I like to keep the NB VID at 1.15v to 1.2v but many folks find 1.25v is the sweet spot.

Keep a chart with speeds, voltages and temps. Look for the AMD *volt wall* You might go 3.9GHz @ 1.388v 55c ... but ... 4GHz takes 1.425v at 60c. Look for those jumps/anomalies in voltages and temps.

I like to work at load 50-55c -- max spec is 62c. Anything less than that, let her rip at your preference.

Hey, I think I found the culprit to my heat problem the thermal paste was so badly applied, so I reapplied some MX-2 Artic cooling so it covers all areas of the CPU. And now with 4GHz, 1.380V, 2400hmhz NB frequency and NB+ CPU/NB frequencies at 1.2V my load temps so far (5 minutes in Prime95) are only 53.5 deg cels.

Thanks.
!