Sign in with
Your question

HHD w/ SSD or just a larger SSD?

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2011 12:40:42 AM

Hello all. First thank you very much for your future comments, advice and opinions.

I will be building a new $2,000 (about) computer in December, actually when the new AMD Radeon 7000 graphic cards come out, I am not going to wait for Ivy Bridge, Sandy is just fine. :)  That is just for computer components inside the case, not peripherals. I am working on all the 'little' quirky stuff before I buy the components.

I will most likely go with a three screen set up and I will be playing MW3, etc.

Now in my last computer that I had for 8 years, I never went over 110Gbs of space in my HHD. And I will never go over more then 150Gbs now as I don't download pics, movies, video. Nothing. I use my computer for a few games and lots of readable text; I write customer service training manuals and have a book in the process. But that's about it.

I have all my information backed up also.

My questions are:

1. Do I really need an HHD or can I just go with a fast 240Gb SSD and no HHD's? OR two 120Gb SSD's in raid something? If you can do raid in SSD's.

2. If I did do two SDD's in raid, what raid would I do them in?

I will be having some assistance when I build the computer. ;) 

Thank you very much for your time.

:) 

More about : hhd ssd larger ssd

a c 116 G Storage
October 25, 2011 1:23:12 AM

120 GB SSD (even 80 GB will work) for OS and all programs + 500 GB HDD for data. Backup everything on a regular basis.
m
l
October 25, 2011 1:28:27 AM

Ubrales said:
120 GB SSD (even 80 GB will work) for OS and all programs + 500 GB HDD for data. Backup everything on a regular basis.

So ubrales, what you are saying I don't need a HHD.
m
l
a c 116 G Storage
October 25, 2011 1:34:48 AM

NoviceNob said:
So ubrales, what you are saying I don't need a HHD.

A small capacity SSD for OS + frequently used programs and a 500 GB HDD for data and programs that are not on the SSD.

In your case just one 120 GB SSD may work well, but I personally like to have a hard disk in addition to the SSD just in case..

In any event, backup your computer on a regular basis to an external hard disk.
m
l
!