Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Couple Quick Hard-Drive transfer questions

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 25, 2011 6:41:36 AM

I just built a new computer and need to transfer my files from my old Hard-Drive to my new one. I already have Windows 7 installed on the new PC and wonder if I should connect my old Hard-Drive to my new PC or take new hard drive out and transfer files on my old Vista machine? Also what would you guys recommend for the transfer as the best way? Just drag and Drop? This is my first time transferring files so a little nervous about it. :??: 
a b $ Windows 7
a c 120 G Storage
October 25, 2011 9:53:16 AM

Connect the drive to the computer and transfer files or folders by copying and pasting. After all the files are transferred, do a complete backup onto an external hard drive. Copy and paste gives you one more level of security in the sense that the files will be on both drives until you decide to delete files on the old drive. Better than drag and drop.

After this is done and verified, you may delete the files in the old hard disk, or do an NTFS format on the old drive, thereby deleting all data. Be very careful to select the correct drive if you decide to do a format.
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
October 25, 2011 10:48:21 AM

win 7's copy-paste is better than xp's.
you can use a 3rd party software to transfer files if you want. teracopy (free version) can queue files, pause/abort transfers.
you can also use file managers like total commnder or directory opus (both paid softwares).
m
0
l
Related resources
October 25, 2011 6:42:38 PM

Since I already have Windows 7 on my new Hard-Drive I'm not sure which files to copy from my old hard-drive to my new one? I was just going to open the old hard-drive and right click and drag to copy all the files and paste to the new drive but now I am unsure which files should and shouldn't be copied? Do I have to uninstall windows from my new hard drive?
m
0
l
a b $ Windows 7
a c 120 G Storage
October 25, 2011 7:01:48 PM

lvilleluke said:
Since I already have Windows 7 on my new Hard-Drive I'm not sure which files to copy from my old hard-drive to my new one? I was just going to open the old hard-drive and right click and drag to copy all the files and paste to the new drive but now I am unsure which files should and shouldn't be copied? Do I have to uninstall windows from my new hard drive?

Just copy your data files; not the OS files. Win 7 is already installed properly.
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 7:15:25 PM

Ubrales said:
Just copy your data files; not the OS files. Win 7 is already installed properly.

A lot of the files are already on the new hard drive so its asking me if i want to copy and replace files, and some files are saying I need permission to copy the file. Should I just copy my whole Program files folder? sorry for being a noob :pfff: 
m
0
l
a c 229 $ Windows 7
a c 379 G Storage
October 25, 2011 7:18:06 PM

All programs will need reinstalled. you can only copy over data files such as documents, pictures, videos, game saves,...

Do not copy the OS files or actual programs.
m
0
l
October 25, 2011 7:22:55 PM

Hawkeye22 said:
All programs will need reinstalled. you can only copy over data files such as documents, pictures, videos, game saves,...

Do not copy the OS files or actual programs.

ahhh I see now thank you
m
0
l
!