Sign in with
Your question
Closed

IBM 3.8ghz IntelliStation Z pro vs what I have

Last response: in CPUs
February 7, 2010 8:31:09 PM

I have an opportunity/? to upgrade from a everex barebones pc with a 1.6 mhz via c7 processor, and 2gb of 667mhz memory and a 400 mhz fsb. Made around the same time, I guess about 3 years ago was a top of the line and now very cheap option. For 300 dollars I can get an IBM IntelliStation Z pro 6223-75U with (maxed out) 16 Gb of 800mhz memory and two 3.8 ghz processors. running on an 800mhz fsb. It's been used as the hub computer for a small office.
Sure seems like I'd be getting a super fast/??? 3.8 ghz two full processor machine with all the ports for firewire etc..etc.. and some open bays.

I am aware that memory is getting faster and faster while bus speeds are now reaching 1600mhz and processors today have multi-cores. Saving for a computer that I'll be able to upgrade later would be a smart but at least this is/??? a vast improvement over what I have. So Would this be a fast web-surfing and video box or will it obsolete before I know it? I've also been considering just getting a new mini laptop or netbook with a dual core processor and as much memory as I can stuff in it. Any thoughts?

Best solution

a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 8:39:46 PM

this will kick the via processor into a dump truck...

Personally youll need a 64bit os to get the most out of it as it has 16gb of ram...

you may have to update the bios.

It would run Windows 7 like a dream..
February 7, 2010 8:51:36 PM

it came originally with redhat but I'll be using ubuntu 64bit. or fedora. I started out saying I would just save and get a new computer but this option seems like an easy fix while all the new advances in memory and bus speeds and processors start getting used. I realized that most of the offerings seem to be getting rid of soon to be obsolete stuff. How fast will this thing be?.. I make videos with an old minidv camcorder.
Score
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 7, 2010 8:57:13 PM

it will work fast on linux thats for sure. you will see a vast improvement over your old machine as ubuntu works well with 2 processors and all that ram if 64bit

enjoy.
Score
February 8, 2010 4:14:57 AM

Best answer selected by de rookie.
Score
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 4:18:15 AM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
Score
!