Sign in with
Your question

Intel Matrix Storage - degraded Raid10 - one HDD kicked out

Last response: in Storage
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 25, 2011 8:34:59 AM

Hi!

We have a RAID10 volume on an Intel Matrix Storage controller. One of the four 250GB drives has fallen out of the volume due to a faulty Sata cable.
We replaced the cable, tested the drive and found that it's OK, I just cannot put the drive back to the RAID array.

In the BIOS it says "Failed member disk" and after OS boot the drive shows up under "non-raid disks" and the raid array shows degraded status with one missing drive.
However there supposed to be an option to put the drive back in the raid array, but that option doesn't show up for me (see attached screensot), only a "reset to non raid" option can be used.
Is it safe to use that option? Will I be able to put the drive back to the raid array after resetting it to non-raid?

Thanks in advance for your help!

October 25, 2011 9:15:51 AM

since it seems as you only have 4 disks just break the array in RAID then make it again with Disk 2 in it that should part all of them into the same array
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 25, 2011 9:29:04 AM

yumri said:
since it seems as you only have 4 disks just break the array in RAID then make it again with Disk 2 in it that should part all of them into the same array

Well, I don't want to destroy the raid array. I have backed up all the data but I would have to reinstall the OS if I were to delete and re-create the array.
I am seeking a way here to put the missing drive back to the array without data loss.
Related resources
October 25, 2011 11:36:01 AM

use reset the disk to non raid, for that disk ONLY. then you should be able to put it back for rebuilt.
Anonymous
a b G Storage
October 25, 2011 1:03:34 PM

Thanks, it worked. Now it's rebuilding the array. Seems like there's no other problem.
!