Sign in with
Your question

GA-790XTA - New build, cpu fan won't turn on

Last response: in Motherboards
June 3, 2010 10:44:55 PM

Hey Guys,

I just finished building a new system using the GA-790XTA-UD4 (rev 1.0) motherboard. Everything seems to be working great EXCEPT the CPU Fan won't turn on. I replaced the stock AMD 955BE heatsink/fan with a Cooler Master Hyper 212 Plus. When I plug the fan into one of the other 4-pin connectors it starts right up, so I know the fan works. I've also adjusted it in the BIOS to run at full speed all the time and it still doesn't start. I'm thinking the motherboard connection is bad.

Do you guys have any suggestions? Do you think it's a bad CPU_FAN connection?

Thanks Guys
June 3, 2010 11:20:58 PM

Update:
I can rearrange the fan cords and use SYS_FAN1 for the CPU fan but I'm not sure if that's the best route to take. Thoughts?
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 111 V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 11:44:53 PM

I've encountered a similar problem in the past. I had to connect the cpu fan to a different spot on the mobo because the original spot went kaput. If you need to, pick up one of these.

While searching for the above mentioned part, I came across a similar thread. In an effort to not reinvent the wheel and to give credit where its due, check out paperdoc's reply here.
m
l
Related resources
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 3, 2010 11:47:03 PM

You could just plug it into SYS_FAN1 and let it run full blast all the time, but if it were mine - that'd be an 'RMAable' offense - gotta have temp-based CPU fan control; for systems I do for other folks, I usually put in a PWM intake and exhaust, and 'daisy-chain' 'em all off the CPU_FAN connector; that way, system is whisper quiet when lightly loaded, but moves air like a vacuum cleaner when loaded!

In the BIOS, on the "PC Health Status" page, check that "CPU Smart FAN Control" is "Enabled" (that couldn't cause your problem - your only other choice is "Disabled" - which should run the fan full blast all the time...), and that "CPU Smart FAN Mode" is set to "PWM" - it defaults to "Auto", and the auto-detection may be failing due to some characteristic of the fan itself (which, BTW, looks pretty kick@$$ - I may start recommending those when people ask - have always recommended Arctic Freezer 7's, which finished ringht behind it in Tom's test...); 'PWM' should 'force it' to correctly supply the fan, no matter what it 'detects'!

Should that not work, if you have, or can get access to, a VOM (otherwise known as a 'multimeter')

I can walk you through some tests that would at least give an idea whether the controller channel is bad...

m
l
June 4, 2010 12:07:10 AM

Gigabyte motherboard has an option to keep the fan from turning on before the CPU reach a certain temperature. On one of my computer, I had it set at 40C before starting the fan, so the computer would start fanless and run as it until the temp went higher that 40C.

just chek the BIOS for that option
m
l
June 4, 2010 3:26:41 AM

Thanks for the help guys. So far none of your suggestions have fixed the problem. I think that connector is shot. However, running the CPU Fan off of SYS_FAN1 has kept the temp around 33C (average use - no stress test). My current computer is fine for work (bad for games) so I'll continue using it while I RMA the MB back to newegg.
m
l
June 4, 2010 6:10:10 AM

Hmm... I was reading a bunch of other articles that were mostly referencing slow fan speeds. A lot of people recommended just plugging the CPU fan into the SYS_FAN or PWR_FAN. It does run full out but I was testing it on Dragon's Age with the settings pretty high and the temp was maxing at 45C.

... and I really like the Hyper 212 Plus; Fry's is selling them for $30.00 right now.
m
l
a c 143 à CPUs
a c 148 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 5:16:32 PM

You might recheck your BIOS settings for the fan based on Pat's remark. I saw that on my past Gigabyte boards also, but manually setting the temp range and fan speed range fixed it. I say recheck, because as I recall it wasn't straightforward.
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 11:03:19 PM

I wish someone would point out to me what GB p/n boards these are/were with an RPM/temp adjusment in the BIOS - I have 142 manuals here, have at least 'paged through', if not read them all, and can't recall ever having seen anything even resemblant of this??
m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 2:43:20 AM

Quote:
... and I really like the Hyper 212 Plus; Fry's is selling them for $30.00 right now.

Staggering! I think that's precisely half the price at NE [:bilbat:5]

I'm starting to become jealous of folks who have one in their vicinity; nearest one to me is about a hundred miles :??:  I live in the Milwaukee area, and since CompUSA went out of business, it's pretty much: order over the web OR order over the web - you gets your pick! [:fixitbil:1]
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:06:38 AM

I'm with Bilbat on this one. I don't see anything in the bios or the manual that mentions RPM/temp adjustments (heck just turning the thing on). Plus, I've been keeping my stock heatsink/fan plugged into the cpu_fan slot just in case I magically did something to turn it on. So far nothing. However, my cpu temps have been amazing just running the cpu fan all the time off of the sys_fan1 header. I know it will use the fan up faster but it has a 40,000 hour lifespan and I have the bios alarms set for high cpu temps and sys_fan1 not spinning.

So just doing some sloppy math...
Assume computer on for 14 hours a day.
Assume fan lifespan cut in half by constant max usage

That gives me 1,428 days or 3.91 years.

Bilbat - Having a Fry's down the street (Tempe, AZ) is nice but they generally run at least 10% more expensive than newegg. I was shocked when I noticed the Hyper 212 was cheaper. If money was not such a limitation I would have bought everything there though.

m
l
a b à CPUs
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 6:13:37 PM

I've heard that they have excellent warranty/return/support policies, too! (Though I can't complain - NE has always treated me extremely well - might have something to do with the fact that they get four or five thousand a year out of me, and I have twenty thou in 'wish lists', waiting to be queued up into the budget[:jaydeejohn:3])

As far as I'm concerned, my only use for the fan control is noise abatement - if the racket at full speed isn't bothering you, no real problem...
m
l
June 5, 2010 6:52:40 PM

shivah67 said:
I'm with Bilbat on this one. I don't see anything in the bios or the manual that mentions RPM/temp adjustments (heck just turning the thing on). Plus, I've been keeping my stock heatsink/fan plugged into the cpu_fan slot just in case I magically did something to turn it on. So far nothing. However, my cpu temps have been amazing just running the cpu fan all the time off of the sys_fan1 header. I know it will use the fan up faster but it has a 40,000 hour lifespan and I have the bios alarms set for high cpu temps and sys_fan1 not spinning.

So just doing some sloppy math...
Assume computer on for 14 hours a day.
Assume fan lifespan cut in half by constant max usage

That gives me 1,428 days or 3.91 years.

Bilbat - Having a Fry's down the street (Tempe, AZ) is nice but they generally run at least 10% more expensive than newegg. I was shocked when I noticed the Hyper 212 was cheaper. If money was not such a limitation I would have bought everything there though.

Page 55 ..CPU smartfan control
m
l
June 5, 2010 7:11:08 PM

I would RMA this board. If it is a known good fan, and the cpu_fan connector is incapable of running it, then this board is faulty. Why sacrifice?
m
l
!