Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Can a Hard drive set up in a raid 1 configuration be removed and read as a regul

Last response: in Storage
October 25, 2011 12:13:18 PM

I have a pair of Seagate 2TB drives in a RAID 1 mirroring configuration, in Windows 7
I did this more for redundancy than for performance... After all that's quite a few movies
The bios sees both drives when the system boots up
So BOTH drives appear to be in working order
However, all of a sudden, Windows 7 can no longer see the drive
My question is can one of the drives be removed from the current configuration and placed in another
Say a Windows XP computer as a standard drive or read from a docking station
OR
Can this be repaired with out loosing the data?

Best solution

a b G Storage
October 26, 2011 4:41:07 AM

if you have raid 1 then both drives are identical and can be used independant of one another in this system or any other. removing them will not cause any data loss. if you change teh contents of a drive while its out of raid, when you plug it back into raid then it will need to rebuild the array wich could take a few hours.

what drive is windows not seeing? did one of the drives in the raid fail or is the system not seeing the raid array itself?
October 26, 2011 11:17:35 AM

ncc74656 said:
if you have raid 1 then both drives are identical and can be used independant of one another in this system or any other. removing them will not cause any data loss. if you change teh contents of a drive while its out of raid, when you plug it back into raid then it will need to rebuild the array wich could take a few hours.

what drive is windows not seeing? did one of the drives in the raid fail or is the system not seeing the raid array itself?

The windows system does not see the array, when the computer boots and the Raid message comes up it sees both drives
Related resources
October 29, 2011 12:41:54 PM

Best answer selected by wjohni.
October 29, 2011 12:54:22 PM

ncc74656 said:

Both drives were visible during boot up... Window's 7 all of a sudden just didn't see the array any more.

Thanks...
IT WORKS!!
I think at this point I will just delete the array and leave one drive in the computer and back it up with the other using a docking station. Then I will no longer have to worry about this problem at all. The back up would be off line! There would be additional drive space available on the computer for another hard drive. It may be cumbersome to keep everything in order... But in the long run I would just feel more secure.
Thanks again for all your help

John
a b G Storage
October 30, 2011 7:17:31 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
!