I have a western digital 500gb external hard drive

mike slade

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
my external hard drive wont work on my hp pavilion dv6 it dosnt read when pluged in can anyone help i have put it into a probox smart family enclosure.

larkspur

Distinguished

Hi Mike,

Has it worked in the same port in the same machine before? Try it in another machine. Make sure the enclosure has power, or if it doesn't require external power then make sure you are plugging it into a "powered" port in your computer. Does the computer "see" the enclosure when it is plugged in? Does the enclosure have any lights on it that indicate it is on and powered?

larkspur

Distinguished

Is your enclosure one of the ones that doesn't require external power? Some USB ports on computers are not "powered" ports which would be required (if its USB). Make sure you are plugging into a powered port. Try the ones on the back of the case. If you still can't get it to "see" the drive then: 1) Make sure you have rebooted and tried again. 2) Try it in another computer. 3) Try a different HDD in the enclosure to test the enclosure and/or Try the HDD removed from the enclosure directly plugged to the motherboard.

Those three should tell you where your problem lies.