5770 not working properly

shalin

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hi guys,

I've recently completed a build with the following components,

phenom II 955
Gigabyte ma790x-ud4p
XFX 5770 (another one as well to run XFire, but cant even get one working at this point)
OCZ reaper DDR2 x 4 (8gig total)
860W Psu
Windows 7

I was running Vista Ultimate, but that wouldn't recognize the GPU as anything other than a VGA card and installed the driver to suit.... So, I upgraded to windows 7 in the hope that the refresher would help - but, same problem....

Now i'm worried that the Cards are not compatible with the mobo???

I've tried installing Catalyst from AMD.com, but the driver installation 'fails', so I tried downloading it on its own, but still fails. :(

This is my first attempt at this sort of thing - does anyone have any useful suggestions? HELP PLEASE!!!

You need to install the previous drivers first, could be a conflict with the drivers that windows installed and the ATI ones. Did you make sure that it didn't auto configure when you first started the system ?
When you first start you would get a message something like, "new VGA detected" in a balloon at the bottom right hand corner of the screen. This would lead to a pop up that asks to Auto detect or connect to install drivers, cant remember exactly its been ages since i last read it. Anyway you need to cancel this also. Then you can install the correct drivers from where you have downloaded then to. The 9.11 drivers include 5 series support so should work ok.
So if you uninstall the drivers again and make sure to not let it do the above, you should be ok.
Any questions please ask.

Mactronix

shalin

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Thank you....

I feel like such an idiot asking this - but, how do make windows not automatically install its generic driver? Every time I uninstall the VGA vid card and reboot, it says in the little balloon 'installing hardware driver' (like you said) and is completed within seconds... I'm seemingly powerless to stop it...

I'm sorry for asking such a simple question... thanks

Ok no worries sorry i have been out otherwise would have posted sooner.
When the balloon pops up click on the little cross in the top right hand corner. Then when the other window opens top left of the screen asking if you want it to search etc cancel that as well or just close it.
Now you are free to install which drivers you want to without window interfearing.
When you un-install the drivers for the card it may ask you to choose between leaving the chipset drivers and deleting them. The default/recomended choice is to leave them which is what you want.

Again any questions just ask

Mactronix

shalin

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Hmmmm, no luck... If i click the 'X' an icon appears in the taskbar (sorta like i minimized it) with a busy sign and it continues on it's merry way... I'm not asked by windows if i want to search, in fact it asks me nothing - just states 'installing new hardware driver' and thats that.

Is there any way I can turn the auto install feature off? I spent ages looking with no luck...

Thanks again for your help

shalin

Distinguished
Nov 22, 2009
Yeh, both 32 bit OS, and downloaded 32 bit drivers for windows 7....

A the end of the Catalyst install it gave me a diagnostic of the installation. In that it stated that the installation of the Radeon driver 'fail', but all other components read 'success'....