Sign in with
Your question

How do you use turbo mode on an I7 2600K?

Last response: in Overclocking
May 4, 2012 6:07:56 AM

I hear it has a turbo mode built in, how would I use that?

I plan on getting one soon and overclocking it. Could someone tell me how long a fully overclocked CPU might last in years? I want this cpu to last at least three years, I might not even overclock at all out of paranoia about breaking it despite the fact I'm getting a very cool case with many fans and a thermalright silver arrow cpu cooler.

How long might it last if I only overclocked it to 4ghz do you think?

More about : turbo mode 2600k

a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 7:38:34 AM

childofthetao said:
I hear it has a turbo mode built in, how would I use that?

I plan on getting one soon and overclocking it. Could someone tell me how long a fully overclocked CPU might last in years? I want this cpu to last at least three years, I might not even overclock at all out of paranoia about breaking it despite the fact I'm getting a very cool case with many fans and a thermalright silver arrow cpu cooler.

How long might it last if I only overclocked it to 4ghz do you think?

Turbo is active straight out of the box, even though you can OC with it disabled, if you wish (I do).

As far as how long it will last OC'd, as long as you stay below 1.45V or so on the Vcore, and below a temp of 72C or so on a constant basis, it'll outlast every other component in the system.

For 4Ghz, you won't be anywhere near 1.45V, if you set the Vcore manually or with offsets, and with that HSF, you won't be pushing 72C either. Temps slightly above 72C aren't horribly bad (that's more like 85-90C+), but for longevity, it's recommended to stay below 72C.

Edit: Intel's specs say a max Vcore of 1.52V, but I err on the side of caution with recommending 1.45V or lower for the chip to last.
May 4, 2012 7:46:30 AM

You say turbo mode is active straight out of the box? Doesn't that make it normal mode, not turbo mode? That seems a little strange.
Related resources
a c 283 à CPUs
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 7:48:14 AM

childofthetao said:
You say turbo mode is active straight out of the box? Doesn't that make it normal mode, not turbo mode? That seems a little strange.

Turbo IS actually normal mode, in a way. When loaded, it'll very rarely actually be at the stock non Turbo speed. The only way it'll do that is if you disable Turbo completely, but it's enabled by default.
a b à CPUs
a b K Overclocking
May 4, 2012 8:15:38 AM

what dj said. turbo mode kicks on when you actually use your cpu. not just idling in windows.
!