Windows 7 64 bit reports only half instaslled ram

drxtreme

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
I have just finished a new dev system running Windows 7 x64 to use with CS 5 Master Suit and Toon Boom Animation. I am using a Coolermaster Cosmo case with CoolerMaster Pure Pwr 1K supply to a new Asus P6X58D Premium motherboard with Intel Core i7-960 Bloomfield 3.2GHz LGA 1366 130W Quad-Core and Intel X25-M Mainstream SSDSA2MH160G2R5 2.5" 160GB SATA II MLC Internal Solid State Drive. From the Asus QVL list for this board I bought and installed 6 CORSAIR XMS3 6GB (3 x 2GB) DDR3 333 (PC3 10666) Triple Channel sticks, Model #TR3X6G1333C9. Everything is working great. Rock solid no issues with anything but Dreamweaver (CS5) crashing most likely do to it being 32 bit and I have step back set to allow me to undue up to 20 layers/changes...

I run Speacky (Piriform) and it reports "12.0GB Dual-Channel DDR3 @ 467MHz 8-8-8-20" with AI set to max auto so system is underclocked until its needed. I run CPUz it shows 12 gigs ram as well, but Windows only sees 6gb of ram. Anyone know what gives? I never had this issue with Vista 64bit.

Thanks up front for any intel anyone cares to share. And No I don't want to run Umbutu and fight to find drivers for a Quadro Pro and Tesla 2050 cards, so a thank you to you wonderful open source gods.....

Solution
KK - If you're sure that max memory isn't selected, and that Memory remapping is properly set in the Bios, then I'm left with suggesting that you remove all but one stick of RAM; starting the system like that. Then shutting down and reinstalling it all. Doing that should force windows to update itself.

May as well check for bent pins on the motherboard while you have the box pulled apart.
Have you checked in the Bios to ensure memory remapping is enabled?

also - Where in windows does it say 6GB? The easiest way to get an overview of what is going on is to open Resource Monitor - There is a tab for Memory usage which is pretty self explanatory:

Hardware Reserved (gray) This is physical memory that is set aside by the BIOS and other hardware drivers, and can not be used for anything else.

In Use (green) In active use by Windows, running processes, or by device drivers. This is the number that matters: If you consistently fill this green bar across the entire length of the graph, then you are trying to push your physical RAM beyond its capacity. Consider upgrades if that is the case.

Modified (orange) This represents pages of memory that can be used by other programs but would have to be written to the page file before they can be reused.

Standby (blue) This is the amount of memory that Windows 7 is using for cacheing ('Superfetch', etc). It tries very hard to keep this as full as possible. If you start a new process that needs memory, the lowest-priority pages on this list are discarded and made available to the new process. This is transparent to the user and to applications, and should not interfere at all with performance.

Free (light blue) As I pointed out above, Windows Vista and 7 try very hard to avoid leaving any memory completely free. Over time, Windows will use idle cycles to slowly fill this up with items it thinks you may use. This is at a very low priority and will not interfere with system performance.

drxtreme

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Thanks for the reply Scottq, but yes I did check the resource mon. and it does show only 6 GB. I have to confim the BIOS setting though I believe I did check that, never hurts to DBL check any info you get...

KK - If you're sure that max memory isn't selected, and that Memory remapping is properly set in the Bios, then I'm left with suggesting that you remove all but one stick of RAM; starting the system like that. Then shutting down and reinstalling it all. Doing that should force windows to update itself.

May as well check for bent pins on the motherboard while you have the box pulled apart.

Solution

drxtreme

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Did all the above. Even removed the memory and installed one stick at a time. Windows Now reports 8 megs of 12. However Speeky, CPUz and other tools show 12 megs. Even several Memtest (well not Winblows memtest) show 12 megs..

The Asus AI I use on the new P6X58D even shows its scaling 12 megs from 1066 (666.9) MHz to nearly 2000 when demand warrants twisting the clock and voltage up.
In fact I am finding that the system cruises along at 4GHz on Air in my CoolerMaster Cosmo when grinding out huge amounts of work in CS5 AE or Premier Pro....

I have contacted some of the people I used to work with in the Window Group to see what I can shake out. If I get anywhere, I will update this or start a new thread.

Thanks to all who gave great advise...as always...
Cheers!