Sign in with
Your question

Is LGA 775 Really Dead?

Last response: in CPUs
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 3:25:26 AM

We've all advised people to stay away from LGA 775 because it's effectively and end-of-life platform. Intel won't come out with any CPUs for the socket. So should we still recommend it for budget-conscious lookers, even if we're effectively dooming them to an obsolete machine in a year or so?

I guess my question is, with a budget of only $100, what CPU options (from Intel and AMD) that are available, and will enjoy company support for the next five years?

More about : lga 775 dead

February 8, 2010 4:30:50 AM

well, LGA775 is dead in that fashion, but to answer your question properly I would need to know what the person is going to use the computer for, and what the chances of them seeking an upgrade in the near future. If this person is looking for a computer that they plan on using for years to come and not looking to upgrade or spend any money on it, then LGA775 is still a good platform to go with as the processors are plenty fast for those users, and they won't be seeking a part upgrade, however if upgradability is a concern, then I would definitely avoid LGA775 at this point. For the $100 CPU deal, I would definitely go with an AMD chip if you are concerned about upgrading, and the LGA775 with an intel chip if not concerned about upgrading.

If I were building a new computer for my parents friends I would go LGA775 because they are probably never going to upgrade that computer. (They are still rocking a Pentium 3, 1GHz). I will most likely be building one for them in the next 6 months.

I hope this helps.
a c 83 à CPUs
February 8, 2010 6:15:02 AM

Personally I would go AM3 long before socket 775, and it's got nothing to do with socket 775's EOL. AMD offers much better processors for around $100 than Intel. From Intel you get their Pentium Dual core series, from AMD you've got the Phenom II X2, or the Athlon II X3/X4 chips in that price range. The Phenom II X2 competes well against the low end Core2Duo chips which cost more, while the Athlon II X4 competes well against the C2Q 8XXX series which costs a lot more. Price/performance is in AMD's corner in this price range.
Related resources
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 6:21:41 AM

RIP 775.... it was good whilst it lasted..
February 8, 2010 6:43:32 AM

For a budget of $100? No questions asked. Go for the Athlon II X4 620. :) 
February 8, 2010 6:46:02 AM

masterjaw said:
For a budget of $100? No questions asked. Go for the Athlon II X4 620. :) 

Yep, and it's upgradeable down the road, one thing that AMD does better than Intel.

PS: don't start a flame war I have an AMD so i'm not and intel fanboy, and I want an intel so i'm not an amd fanboy :o 
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 7:19:21 AM

Its all about use. Like HV said, if its a one and done net/office machine and the right deal comes along, I'd build it using a 775. Granted for that type of application, its usually cheaper to buy a pre-built, but I wouldn't avoid a socket 775 in that case either.

For the budget CPU with upgrade options, AMD. There's no promise that the AM4 (if thats what they are called) will be able to drop into an AM3 board, but at least AMD has em-brassed the concept in the past.

I'm a little upset with Intel and the IGP for the i3/5s. I generally like to have an IGP available as backup, but if I'm talking upgrade, I also want CF/SLI as an option too. The H55 single x16 controller really pisses me off. So I don't really find them as a budget option. For intel, go big (i5 750+) or go AMD.
February 8, 2010 7:35:45 AM

Don't some h55/57 boards support two GPU's, bet it doesn't scale very well though.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 7:40:33 AM

I agree with others.
Athlon II x4 620 is a very good chip for 100$.
Otherwise Athlon II x3 435.

a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 7:56:02 AM

Yes to the Athlon II x4 620.

There are still some great CPUs on LGA775.
Problem is, Intel has EOLed the platform (no new CPUs) and they are overpriced compared to the AMD alternatives.
If you already have a LGA775 system and are looking for a drop in upgrade, it still has a spark of life in it.
a b à CPUs
February 8, 2010 8:47:29 AM

I had mailed Intel that when are they stopping production of LGA775 chips, they replied back saying that it hard to tell now as the manufacturing would go on until the demand is there!
!