HDD led light constantly flashing after case switch

benbored

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010
Hey all, I recently swapped all my components into a new Nzxt lexa s case. everything is fine but I noticed that my Hard drisk drive green l.e.d. is always blinking. It blinks/flashes every second.

I think this may have something to do with me putting the cables into the wrong pins on the mother board. heres the background info: in my old case the power switch and (what i believe to be) the power LED where plugged into the four pins on the right leaving the 5 extra pins (on left) to be unused. on the new case I know for sure i plugged the power switch, power led, and reset switch in correctly, however I think I may have plugged the HDD led in the wrong pins. The motherboard is a stock Emachines motherboard and has no manual.

below is the best visual I can draw out:
O- open pins
P- power switch
L- LED for Power
H- Hdd led
R- reset switch

old case
O L
O L
O P
O P
O

New case (how i connected)

H L
H L
R P
R P
O

heres a link to a drawing I did.
http://i651.photobucket.com/albums/uu232/ben_clover/HowIpluggedinswitches.png

any info would be appreciated. thanks.

AlphaOmegaX

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Did you read the pins or manual that came with your case?

My gamma has big bold letters on all the pins. It was impossible to get it wrong.

benbored

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2010

the manul for the case told me to look at the manual for the mobo lol. will read the link by canadian69, and whats a gamma?

ejay

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2004
Could be attributable to Windows 7 "drive polling", an operating system malady wherein the system regularly checks optical drive accessability. This causes the case hard drive light to blink every second or so. Google "drive polling" to find the solution.