Sign in with
Your question

How do I setup dual boots?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2010 2:05:32 PM

I've got a new build based on a Gigabyte X58A-UD7 and I'd like to be able to boot to a hard drive from an old system. I've got the old hard drive plugged into a hot-swap tray and I can read the drive just fine when I boot to my main drive, but when I tried just pointing the boot sequence to the old drive, but it wouldn't work - it just hung up and froze. Thanks!

More about : setup dual boots

a c 296 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 3:18:31 PM

Hi.

The problem here is that the drivers that u old drive doesn't have the correct drivers for ur new mobo and components.
m
l
June 4, 2010 3:50:42 PM

Hi Saint19,

Any ideas for getting there? I'm not asking for every step, as I can usually figure that out, but some general guidelines...? If I can't boot to it I can't install anything. Installing a new operating system would defeat the purpose of what I'm trying to do - run the old system through the new system with the programs intact.
m
l
Related resources
a c 296 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 3:57:42 PM

The only way that I know is when ur old drive boot u replace the old drivers for the new one, but this isn't the case.
m
l
June 4, 2010 4:00:08 PM

Ok, well, thanks, Saint19. If I figure it out I'll post it. Cheers!
m
l
a c 296 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 4:03:36 PM

Not problem, if u find the answer let me know.
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 5:13:28 PM

What you can do (works most of the time but not always) --- remove your new HDD and go back to just the old drive (just temporary to get things setup) - Now boot from the old windows installation disk - when it starts running setup.exe do a REPAIR installation - ( Do not do a new install which will format the HDD and lose all of the info on it !!!) - By doing a repair install it will reload all of the device drivers and system files from the install disc replacing the old versions based on the parts it finds during its scan of the system - After it finishes you will most likely have to reauthenticate the install with Microsoft (since you changed the MOBO, etc.) but using the phone activation has always worked for me when doing this even on an OEM version install.

You will now have the second HDD setup to boot properly with the new system (Old OS on new System) with all of your old programs and settings still intact ! so can now reinstall the new HDD (new OS on New HDD) - use it as the primary boot drive and when inside windows go to the admin console and use BCDEDIT to add the new boot device (Old HDD and OS) to the boot list (See HERE for a video on using BCDEDIT )

EDIT : Just reread and actually you can just do the first part to reset the old install and then forget the second part since you are just wanting to use the old HDD to boot the new system not setup a dual boot environment !
m
l
June 4, 2010 5:30:33 PM

Hi JDFan,

Great info - I'll try it. Sounds pretty straightforward and if it works I might go for the true dual boot as well. I'll post my results (might not be until sometime over the weekend.)

Thanks!
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 5:45:47 PM

FlashBimmer said:
Hi JDFan,

Great info - I'll try it. Sounds pretty straightforward and if it works I might go for the true dual boot as well. I'll post my results (might not be until sometime over the weekend.)

Thanks!

For just updating the old HDD to boot the new system a repair install should work (I did it a few months ago when upgrading my system and have had no problems - (going from an old socket 754 AMD 3200+ AGP MOBO to a new 790GX MOBO with an X3 720 CPU) -- IIRC the only problem I ran into was changing some program shortcuts since I also added a new SATA HDD with the new system and kept an old secondary IDE HDD and the drive letter assignment changed on the IDE drive and it's partitions (which is why I suggest removing the new HDD while setting things up so the drive assignments do not change !) -- JUst be sure to look at the Device Manager afterwards and see if there are any conflicts showing up and correct them or reinstall the device drivers for anything that has a warning showing (sometimes a device is not recognized during the scans so has to be readded manually afterwards)
m
l
June 10, 2010 10:43:02 PM

Follow up to the thread: I got everything talking, the drive from the laptop is showing up and I can access all files but as for booting from it, no luck so far but I know what's going on. The drive came from a Dell laptop and as such the XP OS is an OEM, meaning that while I can move it from one Dell laptop to another (and I've done that twice with no problems) and maybe even from a Dell laptop to a Dell desktop, I don't have permission to move it to a system I build myself. I'm hoping I'll be able to upgrade to a retail version of XP, otherwise it goes back in the laptop and stays there.
m
l
June 22, 2010 10:24:50 PM

Continuing follow-up: Turns out I didn't need to buy a retail version of XP, and I wasn't able to overwrite it onto the OEM anyway (after MUCH trying.) With a 1 1/2 hour call to Mumbai (apparently, Microsoft's new HQ - and they're all so nice!), I got everything authorized for no charge and it's all up and running. Woohoo! I still need to go into BIOS to boot from the laptop HD, and if anybody has some advice for setting up a true dual boot, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!
m
l
!