Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question
Closed

How to update firmware? do i need to? and condense win 7?

Tags:
  • SSD
  • Firmware
  • Storage
Last response: in Storage
Share
October 25, 2011 10:35:27 PM

I just installed window 7 on my ocz agility 3 ssd. I see that it have firmware 1.11 and there is 1.15 available should i update? if yes how do i do so without deleting my programs i have installed? additionally. How can i condense windows 7 i believe it is taking up 21GB!! out of my 60gb hard drive that is crazy!! any help on setting up this ssd so it can run at optimal speed would be great! thank you in advance!

More about : update firmware condense win

Best solution

a c 544 G Storage
October 25, 2011 11:44:57 PM

Your drive should have firmware version 2.11, not 1.11; and the latest version is 2.15. not 1.15.

You can update the firmware by booting into Linux from an .iso file that you download from OCZ and burn to a CD or USB drive.
Here’s the link for instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Once you boot into Linux with the CD you burned all you have to do is double-click an icon that says "Update Firmware".

To delete unneeded Windows installation and temporary files run Windows disk cleanup:

Start --> Right-click Computer --> Properties --> Performance Information and Tools --> Open disk cleanup --> OK --> Clean up system files --> OK

Check off the types files you wish to delete and click OK.

Share
October 25, 2011 11:47:01 PM

Dereck47 said:
Your drive should have firmware version 2.11, not 1.11; and the latest version is 2.15. not 1.15.

You can update the firmware by booting into Linux from an .iso file that you download from OCZ and burn to a CD or USB drive.
Here’s the link for instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Once you boot into Linux with the CD you burned all you have to do is double-click an icon that says "Update Firmware".

To delete unneeded Windows installation and temporary files run Windows disk cleanup:

Start --> Right-click Computer --> Properties --> Performance Information and Tools --> Open disk cleanup --> OK --> Clean up system files --> OK

Check off the types files you wish to delete and click OK.

yes your right 2.11 and 2.15 my fault. I would like to avoid deleting any important files. How do i know which ones i can delete without causing any problems? and also how much space should this free up?
Score
0
Related resources
a c 544 G Storage
October 25, 2011 11:52:14 PM

You can check off "Downloaded Program Files", "Temporary Internet Files", "Recycle Bin", "Service Pack Backup Files", "Temporary Files".
Score
0
October 28, 2011 6:03:44 PM

Dereck47 said:
Your drive should have firmware version 2.11, not 1.11; and the latest version is 2.15. not 1.15.

You can update the firmware by booting into Linux from an .iso file that you download from OCZ and burn to a CD or USB drive.
Here’s the link for instructions: http://www.ocztechnologyforum.com/forum/showthread.php?...

Once you boot into Linux with the CD you burned all you have to do is double-click an icon that says "Update Firmware".

To delete unneeded Windows installation and temporary files run Windows disk cleanup:

Start --> Right-click Computer --> Properties --> Performance Information and Tools --> Open disk cleanup --> OK --> Clean up system files --> OK

Check off the types files you wish to delete and click OK.

I dont have linux installed do i need to install it? i just have windows 7
Score
0
a c 544 G Storage
October 28, 2011 6:16:45 PM

k1ngkev1n1 said:
I dont have linux installed do i need to install it? i just have windows 7


No, the file that you download and burn to cd has the Linux O/S on it. You don't have to know Linux or any of its commands.
All you have to do when Linux boots is to double-click an icon that says "Update Firmware".
Score
0
October 28, 2011 7:05:11 PM

Dereck47 said:
No, the file that you download and burn to cd has the Linux O/S on it. You don't have to know Linux or any of its commands.
All you have to do when Linux boots is to double-click an icon that says "Update Firmware".


Sorry for all the newb questions. Also i dont see the iso file. I downloaded the zipped file, and when i unzip it it didnt have an iso in it. do i need an additional program?

- basically i just need to burn the iso file onto a disk and boot from the cdrom? then select update firmware? thats it? again thanks so much!
Score
0
a c 544 G Storage
October 28, 2011 7:25:44 PM

When you unzip the file you should see a file named ocz_fwupd_1.672.12.05.iso
Burn that file to a disk and boot from the cdrom.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 8:10:44 PM

Dereck47 said:
When you unzip the file you should see a file named ocz_fwupd_1.672.12.05.iso
Burn that file to a disk and boot from the cdrom.

ok i burned it onto a cd, last stupid question is. the post seemed a little old will it have the new firmware for my ssd? just want to make sure. Again i appreciate your help.
Score
0
a c 544 G Storage
October 28, 2011 8:15:39 PM

Yes, the latest firmware will be installed from OCZ's website.
So you can use the same CD for future updates.
Score
0
October 28, 2011 8:16:40 PM

Best answer selected by k1ngkev1n1.
Score
0
a b G Storage
October 29, 2011 8:23:00 AM

This topic has been closed by Maziar
Score
0
!