Optical Drive will read, but not launch

Hey community,

So, when I put a disc into my optical drive, it will be recognized and displayed in My Computer as being in the drive, but the installer won't launch. If I right click the drive and try to run the installer, it will freeze up windows explorer so hard that task manager does nothing and I have to manually reboot. When I first put the disc in, the drive responds and whirs for a bit, but nothing loads.

Windows 7 64 bit with an Asus P6X58D Motherboard. Can't remember the drive model but it's a Lightscribe Optical.

Thanks

P.S.: I've been experiencing this issue on a number of games for a long while, but have been able to ignore it thanks to digital downloads.
3 answers Last reply
More about optical drive read launch
  1. Either your discs are no good or your drive is on its way out. You can get a better idea of how the drive is capable of reading discs by using a utility like Nero DiscSpeed which you can download here.

This program will also enable the auto run if this has been disabled.

http://www.softpedia.com/get/CD-DVD-Tools/CD-DVD-Rip-Other-Tools/Nero-CDDVD-Speed.shtml
  2. Thanks for the reply pjmelect,

I doubt it's my discs as its happened with five or six different games over the past few months, most brand new, a couple old.

I downloaded DiscSpeed but I can't seem to do anything with it, as it always fails to lock the drive, telling me another application must be using it. This is with the Battlefield 3 DVD I'm currently trying to install.
  3. We might be getting to the cause of your problem. Try booting into safe mode (with the CD in the drive already) and trying DiscSpeed again.
    You can get into safe mode by hitting the F8 key repeatedly just before Windows loads.
Ask a new question

Read More

DVD Drives Optical Media Storage