Okay...Let me Have It

sean1138

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
I think I screwed up on my last purchase and was wondering if you could confirm or deny this for me.

I purchased this RAM slated for a voltage of 1.6v:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231279

To go with this AMD MSI Motherboard slated to run RAM at 1.5v:

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130223

I could give you a whole host of excuses as to why I did this but lets just go with whoops I'm an idiot and not kid ourselves :hello: . So basically what kind of a headache have I got myself into? Am I going to be able to post? If I can post will it be stable? If its stable will I suffer performance hits in games? I called the guys at G.skill and they casually said it'd be fine. So can you guys confirm or deny his statement because it isnt sitting right with me and I can just feel an incoming headache barreling down on me. :cry:

Should be fine -- just be sure to go into the Bios and set the timings and Voltage manually --- Due to DDR3 specs the MOBO will default to 1.5V and 1333Mhz. with fairly loose timings (they have the modules set this way so that pretty much any DDR3 module will at least boot since there are so many voltage\timing variances) and as a result in order to get the right speed out of the modules you need to manually adjust the settings (otherwise you're paying extra for better chips and not getting any use out of them !!)

sean1138

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2007
Rolli59 I looked through that pdf list and the memory I purchased isn't listed from what I see. I hope JDfan is correct. I still have a sinking feeling that I have a headache about to be delivered to my front step.

Shouldn't be a headache as long as you are comfortable getting into the BIOS and making a few changes !! ---- the thing is DDR3 specifications called for 1.5V of power being supplied so all of the MOBOs will default to that voltage - yet most of the higher speed lower latency modules require slightly higher than 1.5V (though the newer modules are getting closer) - as a result when you first install the modules the MOBO will set them up to run at 1333Mhz. (the DDR3 standard) and 1.5V (also the standard) - they do this so that all DDR3 modules will at least Boot in all systems - This causes problems for some people as they have to go into the BIOS to get the speed and timings they were told the modules would run at and many users have problems trying to do that (there are people out there afraid to make any BIOS changes) and get upset and post complaints that the modules do not work properly as a result ( Thing is if the RAM companies set them to default at the speed and timings they should run at they would not boot on many systems due to the BIOS defaulting to 1.5V and this would also have upset users) so the RAM manufacturers have to have them default to a lower speed and looser timing that almost any Module will operate at with only 1.5V -- since the other alternative would mean that the user could not get to the BIOS to change the voltage and timings because the system would not even start to boot.

So anytime you get either over 1333Mhz. or over 1.5V you will have to go into the BIOS and make manual changes to the Voltage, Speed and timings to get the performance you are paying for but many users do not understand this and will just say the modules do not work properly causing alot of confusion for other users !!