alfonsoandrada

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Hi so I just built a computer today and everything looks to be running fine. However, the 1TB HDD I installed is being read by Win7 as 127GB. I'm not sure if I messed something up or it's just an error in the OS. I don't know if this is related but the Windows 7 I got was the upgrade because they had a deal where it was $65 for students on their website. So when I got my computer up and running, I first installed XP then after that finished, I Custom Installed Win7 on to the same partition where XP was located. The weird thing is, when I check it on the BIOS it reads it as 1.0TB

Solution
Format and install again. DON'T install XP first. Just install win7.

When you put XP on there it must have been an early version. One that doesn't handle disks bigger then 127GBs. Just put win7 on and you'll be fine. (but format it first.)

4745454b

Titan
Format and install again. DON'T install XP first. Just install win7.

When you put XP on there it must have been an early version. One that doesn't handle disks bigger then 127GBs. Just put win7 on and you'll be fine. (but format it first.)

Solution

alfonsoandrada

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011
Oh, I was under the impression that since its just the upgrade version of Windows 7 I needed an old OS already installed. Man, wasted my time installing all those drivers and those updates. Thanks for the quick reply though, I'll try it right now

ncc74656

Distinguished
Sep 8, 2009
you can do one of two things with an upgrade. if you install off an upgrade disk you can simply change some registry values to make windows think it was installed with a prior OS on the drive, after that you can activate it.

another option is to install the upgrade over itself and that will also count, it basically does the same thing as the registry edit just a longer process.

alfonsoandrada

Distinguished
Oct 25, 2011

So you were right, formatted and installed Win7 again and now it reads 900 something GB. Thanks