Sign in with
Sign up | Sign in
Your question

Cheap Storage Solution

Last response: in Storage
Share
October 26, 2011 7:41:37 AM

Hi.

I'm looking for a cheap storage solution for about 50 TB of HDD space. I'd like to build it myself if possible. But I don't know how and where to start. So...Any ideas?

More about : cheap storage solution

October 26, 2011 7:54:48 AM

I will help you start you dream.
Buy 50 1tb HDD's.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 8:05:15 AM

Great, thanks, u have been a lot of help. But I need to know how to connect all of 'em together. Should I use RAID, NAS or wat? Should I rig all the HDDs upto a dedicated system to use as a file server? If so how do i do that? I mean what are my best options? I'm just gonna use it for storing my movies and game backups. So... any worthwhile suggestions?
m
0
l
Related resources
a b G Storage
October 26, 2011 9:44:48 AM

rrbraj said:
Hi.

I'm looking for a cheap storage solution for about 50 TB of HDD space. I'd like to build it myself if possible. But I don't know how and where to start. So...Any ideas?

wow!!..50TB..I don't know why you need so large hard drive like this, in my experence, if you want to combine them into one hard drive, you need a raid array controller, and built-raid 5 array, and you should notice that the size of the Raid 5 array.
The computational formula is: (n-1)*single hard drive size. The "N" means the numbers of hard drive you have. to built raid 5 array you need at least 3 hard drives.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 9:50:41 AM

Quote:
I'm just gonna use it for storing my movies and game backups.


50 TB of movies and games... Are you referring to 50 GB?? lol
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 10:01:50 AM

Quote:
50 TB of movies and games... Are you referring to 50 GB?? lol


No. 50 TB. as in terabytes.
m
0
l
October 26, 2011 10:16:19 AM

quesionboy said:
wow!!..50TB..I don't know why you need so large hard drive like this, in my experence, if you want to combine them into one hard drive, you need a raid array controller, and built-raid 5 array, and you should notice that the size of the Raid 5 array.
The computational formula is: (n-1)*single hard drive size. The "N" means the numbers of hard drive you have. to built raid 5 array you need at least 3 hard drives.


Thanks quesionboy.

Ok so I need a Raid array controller. Will something like this do the job?

HP Smart Array P812 controller

Also what sort of mobo and PSU will I need for this sort of load?

m
0
l
a b G Storage
October 28, 2011 7:12:32 AM

rrbraj said:
Thanks quesionboy.

Ok so I need a Raid array controller. Will something like this do the job?

HP Smart Array P812 controller

Also what sort of mobo and PSU will I need for this sort of load?


The HP controller is OK, but if you are running an Server OS, I think Dell controller is much better. and about the Motherbord, I think "Gigabyte GA-H55-UD3h motherboard " is OK or higher, and (if it could support USB 3.0 is more perfect). PSU: 450V is OK.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 2:27:14 AM

For your understanding, just by configuring a few hard disks in RAID, it will not function as a storage (SAN or NAS). You need to have software to run the storage. Secondly, even if we assume that we have configured the Hard Disks, what about making sure of recovery in case of a storage crash. In nutshell stop dreaming of a cheap storage for such a large data storage requirement.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 3:28:12 AM

The cheapest way to get 50TB is to wait 10 years and buy 4 20TB disk in a raid 5 array.

But in all seriousness 50 terabytes is a massive amount of storage to try and do on the cheap. You will need at least 15 4TB hard disks (raid 6 is a must on that amount of disks) plus a boot drive. You will need a hardware raid card with at least 16 ports, as you have already pointed out. A case that can hold the disks and a modest CPU and motherboard with a PSU to run it all.

However as mentioned above if this is your only copy of the data you need to back it up. So ether you need a tape backup or another disk array to cope with the backups.

Your second option is to buy a 16 port NAS device, but you will still have to find a way to back that up too.

Good luck with the project, it sounds like it could be fun.
m
0
l
March 28, 2013 3:52:44 AM

I'd recommend a 3U, 16 bay NAS full of 4TB disks in RAID 6 which would give you 56TB usable (less formatting). The easiest way to back up that much data is with a second identical unit to replicate to.
m
0
l
a b G Storage
March 28, 2013 2:47:40 PM

OK here you go - do same thing as I did.
FreeNAS with 20x 4TB you have 64TB with VERY HIGH RELIABLE and fast sharing too.

If you install FireFly plug in http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Plugins#Firefly
Then you can server media files for Roku and iTunes

It supports Apple Talk, NFS, SAMBA, FTP, SFTP HTML very powerful for Media server

Parts:
1x SuperMicro ITX X7SPA-H-D525 @ $200.00
1x Chasis http://www.norcotek.com/ 20 bay 4U rackmount RPC-4020 @ $300.00
4x SPM394 http://www.datoptic.com/esata-hardware-raid-controller @ 180.00/ea = $720.00
1x 1GB USB flash @ $2.00
1x 2GB DDR2 RAM @ $25.00
20x 4.0TB HDD @ $139.00/ea @ On Sale @ Staples USB3.0 4TB
1x 430W PSU @ $35.00

It's less than $5000.00 including shipping and can transfer ovef 200MB/sec if you are bonding these NICs

Just follow the instruction here:
http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22898&pag...

m
0
l
!