Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Does the CD carried with the MB have drivers for Windows Xp X64?

Last response: in Motherboards
June 4, 2010 6:46:28 PM

Hello,
I have a gigabyte GA-p55A-UD3 MB. I am about to upgrade my system to Windows XP X64 version. I am wondering if the CD have the X64 version of drivers for the MB?
Thanks.
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 7:13:52 PM

merlin74 said:
Hello,
I have a gigabyte GA-p55A-UD3 MB. I am about to upgrade my system to Windows XP X64 version. I am wondering if the CD have the X64 version of drivers for the MB?
Thanks.

Im assuming they do. Gigabyte has them on their website if the disk doesn't.
m
l
June 4, 2010 7:17:26 PM

The best place to check would be the motherboard manual or the website, which should explicitely state that it supports XP x64.
m
l
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 9:31:17 PM

ksampanna said:
The best place to check would be the motherboard manual or the website, which should explicitely state that it supports XP x64.

I wasn't guessing. I said they were on the gigabyte web site for a reason. They can also be found on Intels site.

And no, it wouldn't necessarily state explicitly that it supports XP 64.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 10:49:41 PM

1 - the Xp 64 drivers are on the disk - the installer will auto-detect the OS and select the correct drivers without any participation beyond launching the installer...
2 - Xp 64 is a very poor choice of OS - the driver support has always been marginal, and the driver framework itself is 'spotty' to say the least...
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 10:55:56 PM

bilbat said:
1 - the Xp 64 drivers are on the disk - the installer will auto-detect the OS and select the correct drivers without any participation beyond launching the installer...
2 - Xp 64 is a very poor choice of OS - the driver support has always been marginal, and the driver framework itself is 'spotty' to say the least...

Not true. XP 64 has as much driver support as Vista or 7 64. And the driver framework is equally sound. You obviously know nothing about it.

I wish people wouldn't post third hand rumors like they are fact.
m
l
a b \ Driver
a c 208 V Motherboard
June 4, 2010 11:39:41 PM

merlin74 said:
Hello,
Thanks.

If it does, I certainly would not use them.

As your MoBo was manufacturered, packaged, shipped, stocked, reshipped etc, many many moons went buy. Any drivers on that CD would be outdated....they were probably outdated the day the CD was stuffed in the box.

While waiting for the UPS man to deliver you MoBo, you should be downloading current drivers off of all your manufacturers web sites.
m
l

Best solution

a c 177 V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 2:18:50 AM

The reason I always recommend people install the driver disk is that the installer is properly 'sequenced'; i.e., the chipset drivers must be installed (and, usually, the system rebooted) for the southbridge to 'see' the PCIe bus, and thus the LAN chip, as well as the USBs. Most users don't understand any of this; for AMDs, this is a non-issue, as all the 'subsidiary' drivers are 'built into' the southbridge driver (which is a blessing and a curse - it means you don't have to 'dink around' with a half-dozen drivers, but also means you can't get the 'driver of the week' from RealTek!), but most Intel user will shoot themselves in the foot two or three times during the process... Use the installer that came with the board, it will 'sequence' the drivers, reboot itself a few times, and afterward, MS' update will take care of any drivers that actually need newer revs...

As for "third hand rumors", I have been a systems developer since August of '80...

I have work 'on display' (i.e., in operation) on four continents and in roughly forty states...

Learned FORTRAN IV on a mainframe, using punch-cards, in '68...

MCSE...

Might try a forum search here for "thanks bilbat" - think it's getting close to 300 results...

Write: assembler (various), 'hand-code' (pretty much a 'lost art') machine language (Intel & Zilog), many, many BASICs (including Visual Basic and VBA), ADA, APL3, FORTH, Ladder Logic (various), MODULA2, PASCAL, and C++/#/.net...

Contributing participant to: Win3.0, 3.1, 3.11WFW, Xp, Vista (at leat 'till I got sick of the reformatting!), and 7 betas...

Hacking hardware since '87 KayPro with 'piggybacked' T²L logic chips to double 5¼ floppy storage, and 1 meg (32 chips!) RAMdrive patched in through ZCPR3...

Taught AB logic and Win programming, VBA, cross-sytem DDE and OLE/OPC for a couple years...

Write 'glue logic' to xfer data from industrial processors/MMIs to databases (mainframes and server clusters), office apps, 'recipe tenders', 'auto-orders', predictive failure/maintenance support, secured web servers...

Xp 64 DDK sucked - even the debug kernel had 'dysfunctions'; memory allocation/garbage collection in ring0 awful; numerous calls & messaging function 'semi-broken' - you name it!

As for support, I have a few things that disagree: three printers, a plotter, a scanner, a UPS, and three versions of AutoCAD - all work in Xp32 - no drivers (or, in the case of AutoCAD, ring0 components) - useless...

Just my opinion - I ran it until a couple months back - simply to be able to tend to support issues - finally decided it wasn't worth the partition it was using up!
a b V Motherboard
June 5, 2010 9:50:06 PM

bilbat said:

As for "third hand rumors", I have been a systems developer since August of '80...

I have work 'on display' (i.e., in operation) on four continents and in roughly forty states...

Learned FORTRAN IV on a mainframe, using punch-cards, in '68...

MCSE...

Might try a forum search here for "thanks bilbat" - think it's getting close to 300 results...

Write: assembler (various), 'hand-code' (pretty much a 'lost art') machine language (Intel & Zilog), many, many BASICs (including Visual Basic and VBA), ADA, APL3, FORTH, Ladder Logic (various), MODULA2, PASCAL, and C++/#/.net...

Contributing participant to: Win3.0, 3.1, 3.11WFW, Xp, Vista (at leat 'till I got sick of the reformatting!), and 7 betas...

Hacking hardware since '87 KayPro with 'piggybacked' T²L logic chips to double 5¼ floppy storage, and 1 meg (32 chips!) RAMdrive patched in through ZCPR3...

Taught AB logic and Win programming, VBA, cross-sytem DDE and OLE/OPC for a couple years...

Write 'glue logic' to xfer data from industrial processors/MMIs to databases (mainframes and server clusters), office apps, 'recipe tenders', 'auto-orders', predictive failure/maintenance support, secured web servers...

Xp 64 DDK sucked - even the debug kernel had 'dysfunctions'; memory allocation/garbage collection in ring0 awful; numerous calls & messaging function 'semi-broken' - you name it!

As for support, I have a few things that disagree: three printers, a plotter, a scanner, a UPS, and three versions of AutoCAD - all work in Xp32 - no drivers (or, in the case of AutoCAD, ring0 components) - useless...

Just my opinion - I ran it until a couple months back - simply to be able to tend to support issues - finally decided it wasn't worth the partition it was using up!
http://img299.imageshack.us/img299/5994/0160.jpg

Impressive resume. But it smacks of trying to cover a weak argument with prestige. Your impressive background doesn't make your conclusion correct.

Three printer? What printers? A plotter? What plotter? What versions of Autocad? And what exactly where they doing?

You right about one thing, it is at least in part a matter of opinion.
m
l
a c 177 V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 2:37:12 AM

I thnk Acad2008 was the first official x64 support - and then, only some versions, and some video drivers; Lt - no; Architectural - no; RasterRendering - no; and in '07, all, and I mean all, our clients were still on 2000 - which didn't work at all... Not "what was it doing?" - impossible to install, period. Think the plotter was a DesignJet, god only knows model number; three of our four office printers, including a large-format - no drivers... Pretty much anything older than '06 or '07 - no drivers; anything with a planned EOL by '07 or '08 - no drivers... IE plugins? Wouldn't install... I don't even know if Rhapsody supports 64-bit yet - didn't the last time I tried to use it, 'bout eight months ago... Wanna run the same AV suite on a number of muti-bootable systems? Again, eight months back, your choice was BitDefender - no one else major supprted V32&64, and Xp32&64 - and, typically, the one that was 'missing in action' was Xp64...

I'm not saying it's a bad idea, or anything - at some point, MS had to 'take the step' into 64-bit computing, and some OS, at some point, had to be that step. However, much like the intitial foray into the i7 platform, breakthroughs are seldom pretty, or completely functional. I said the same thing when those were announced! I warned people that, the first iteration of any major 'breakout' product never comes without 'growing pains'; and that if you weren't particularly technically astute, and had no particularly overwhelming reason to be in the 'bloody end of the pool', it might be wise to take a pass on the 'first round' - and we saw: PCIe termination problems, smoking sockets, and the occasional burst cap/charred MOSFET... I'm still not particularly happy with the progress of the i5/i7 stuff - I'd like a 'plain old board', gen 2, with the PCIe termination fixed, like the EX58-UD3R 1.6/1.7, with a decent feature set, and no 'new tech' - I don' wanna be a test bed for Marvell and NEC - for my money, when an Intel chipset supports SATA3 and USB3 - I'll know it's time to think about it! I'm thinking about skipping the whole thing, and doing my first i7 workstation rebuild with a pair of 5680 Xeons on a Tyan 7025 - no OC - no 2133 RAM - I've spent a couple months trying to 'talk people down' from the whole ungodly fast RAM thing, 'cause, as I point out at the beginning of Memory - more than you wanted to know!, it seems consistently, that the more folks spend for their memory, the less likely they are to be able to get it running at rated!

What you and I might do, is not necessarily what I'd recommend for the average user - and this is pointed out to me over and over here, answering questions. I spent a day and a half here, some months back, walking someone through drivers and install for an Areca 1680 - and didn't know what RAID was! I just don't think, with what's available for 64-bit systems, that Xp is a good choice. You want a system that'll do it all, and play 'home theater' in it's idle moments - go with seven, especially one of the higher end ones with virtualization... You want to do some serious HPC stuff, go with Linux 64 - kicks butt! (And, there too, I always suggest Ubuntu - may not be the most powerful implementation, but, from the 'hours invested' standpoint, especially for those not all that comfortable with the command line, the most pratical...)

I, too, dislike seeing 'net fairytales' passed on - take a look at this one; guy asked four questions, got three answers, and two of 'em were wrong [:lectrocrew:7]! And it's rife, here - 'reset the CMOS by taking out the battery for [fill in with your particular flavor of myth - six, eight, twenty-four] hours'; 'can't install windoze with eight G of RAM in, gotta take out four'; - it's one of the reasons I did the 'sticky'... I do, however, often feel obligated to let people know when I think they're about to 'shoot themselves in the foot' - and, as I've said before, like lost people going in a circle, they'll be back here, complaining about having to change the bandage twice a week! [:jaydeejohn:4]
m
l
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 6:40:37 AM

Sorry for implying you were hiding a poor argument with fluff. Looking at some of your other post, I realize now that long, super complete answers is just your style of posting.

I stand corrected. You have thought your answers out and have experience with it. VERY few people who talk poorly of XP 64 know anything about it except 5 year old 3rd hand rumors. And it drives me nuts. I know too many people who use it and love it.

You were non-specific as to whether some of these issues you described were exclusive to XP 64 or Windows 64 issues in general. At first read, they look like windows 64 bit issues more than XP 64 issues.

I am inclined to agree that XP 64 would not be the best 64 bit choice for most people. If I had it, I would use it. I wouldn't buy it new though.

m
l
June 7, 2010 2:03:48 AM

Hey FALCON, buddy, it takes the man to say, much more to write "I stand corrected".

bilbat, man, I didn't know you have your roots soo deep in computers, wow!

How about this one, guys: "MACs have way better graphic than PCs"...?
m
l
June 7, 2010 1:04:57 PM

Make that a new post. My ans: not necessarily
m
l
June 7, 2010 2:47:10 PM

Best answer selected by merlin74.
m
l
June 7, 2010 2:48:48 PM

WOW, didn't expect this thread to get so long. Anyway, thanks for all your replies. I have installed all drivers from the CD using the installer for my XP x64. So far it's been working beautifully. I must say I love my P55A-UD3. It is such a piece of fantastic product.

The reason I switch to X64? Simple. I want to use all memories in the system. Currently, I have 4 GB, but will definitely add another 4GB in future when prices go down. Sorry I can't use Linux X64, since there are still many applications not supporting it.

m
l
!