New Radeon HD 5750, No signal to screen

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello,

I've just bought a new HSI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card to replace my old, broken GeForce 8800 GTS. However now my screen is recieving no signal, ie. after start-up the screen goes to sleep mode.

My system:
-Asus M2N-SLi Deluxe motherboard
-HSI Radeon HD 5750 graphics card
-A flat Fujitsu-Siemens screen (it is connected with a VGA -> DVI adapter)
-Windows XP Professional (32-bit)
-SolyTech 600W ATX Power supply
-AMD Athlon 64 X2 Processor
-2MB of RAM memory
If further details are needed I will provide them, though the system requrements for the new gfx card are in order.

I've removed and reset the card several times paying extra attention to the connection to the motherboard. I've also tried resetting my BIOS by removing the battery.

All help is appreciated, thanks in advance!

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
As I am not allowed to edit here comes a new reply:

If it is relevant the fan on the video card does work properly after start up.

Also tried the screen on a laptop and it works.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006
hi
i think that your vga card might be ok but your power supply might be the reason y your system is not working. wattage wise your psu iss ok but dont know how much amps does it have and its also not a well known brand psu. i say this because this 5000 series cards need more amps to run so that might be the problem. its either this or your vga card might be faulty so u can send it in warranty as well. but if i were u then i would have first tried to change the psu and then try. if this does not work then i will send it in warranty. hope i helped

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, I'm really bad at this, but perhaps someone around can help me with the amp matter brought up by the previevous poster.

Here is guru 3D:s review of the psu I have: http://www.guru3d.com/article/solytech-sl8600eps-600-watt-psu-review/2 (For the power-related specs scroll down)

And here they say that one needs at least 40 amps in the +12 volt rails for my video card: http://www.guru3d.com/article/his-radeon-hd-5750-iceq-review/8

As said I understand litlle of these things. Does this mean the psu offers enough power for the video card? The review does state that the psu has a "+12V Output Current not exceed" of 40 amps. Of course it's idiotic to figure this out after buying the video card but I had no idea amp counts matter when it comes to psu:s.

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

by looking at the links u use your psu states 44 amps in total but its actually less than that because its two rails and if we combine them, 22amps each, it wont be 44 amps. it will actually be less than even 40 amps. not sure how much exactly. and the recommended for your vga card is 40 amps. so there is no way it will work because the rest of the system also wants some amps to run and also by any chance if it runs the system then i would personally recommend to not use this psu as it will burn because it will be working at its 100% all the time. as the brand is also not very well known so it will give up soon and when it gives up then it will take your system with it as well. hope i helped

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Thanks a bunch!

I'll start looking for a new psu then. Would you (or anyone else) have any suggestions?

lordszone

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2006

whats your budget and will u be doing crossfire in the future?

dassox

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
http://www.guru3d.com/article/solytech-sl8600eps-600-watt-psu-review/5

They tested your PSU with, "So here's what we did. We took an eVGA Force 680i SLI mainboard and equipped it with Conroe core 2 quad Q6600 Processor, 2x GeForce 8800 GTX cards setup in SLI."

Your PSU can handle a single 5750 despite what Lord has said. The Amps required is accumulated not on a single rail. If you see 1000-1200W PSU units they often only have 20-28A per rail but have a high accumulated rating allowing for quad SLI.

Your "old, broken 8800 GTS", have you tested it in any other computer to be sure it actually is broken. If it was giving the same symptoms of no signal on start-up it might not be broken at all.

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Thank you for the input dassox!

No, I haven't, but the reasons for buying a new video card (and the assumption that the old one was broken) were quite different.

The old card had worked perfectly for the last four or so years when I started getting the infamous nv4_disp error which prevented normal start-up. Also I got these coloured lines and patterns showing up at inappropriate times, like boot menu and windows loading screen. Drivers could not be upgraded for the error stopped the install process. I consulted a professional and he told me that the video card was broken, so I bought a new one.

Now, if we can assume that the new card is indeed functional and that the power source can maintain it would you have any idea what might be causing this?

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Yeah, I could maintain it even in safe mode and windows with the previevous working settings. The resolutions and colours were horrible though and even after a complete driver wipe (add/remove program + driver sweeper in safe mode) the new drivers wouldn't install due to the nv4_disp issue.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
errr perform a planetary glass after local dna is preserved for reuse (back up and dban and reinsall os)

grab windows 7 on the way too, it's actually really nice, but you can't go wrong with xp

because what you are saying sounds too much like a driver issue than hardware, maybe you can RMA it declaring it as a DOA or something if you really wanted to

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Ok, so what you're saying is that there is a problem with the new video card or that it's somehow not working with the rest of my system? Because if this is not the case I don't see how returning the old card to duty would help.

If the problem is with the new card I should basically wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows? And then try new drivers? I ask because I want to be clear about this, not because I doubt what you're saying or anything.

I did try reinstalling windows with the original card (without wiping my hard drive), but the process was somehow interrupted then also.

dassox

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010
Do you have any way of testing your 5750 on a known working computer or able to get your hands on a known good vid card? Basically you're looking for a way to test if it is indeed the video card that is dead or other.

Also, if you are using a new cable you got with the 5750 to connect to your monitor try going back to one that worked while using the 8800.

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
The cable I use is the same I used before, as is the adapter. The cable works and I'm quite sure the adapter works as well. I'll ask around for a computer I could test the card with, but I have none myself.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
i'm saying that what ever is left in your old system's OS with NV may be causing issues and yeah a full reinstall off a fresh OS is a good way to go

if it still don't work, RMA the card or return and exchange if you can

also what do you mean some how interrupted also when you tried to reinstall with old card? sure this is a vid card issue?

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
No, I'm not certain the interruption in the os istallation was caused by the video card. The machine just rebooted while the install was being carried out.

I will test both video cards (the old and the new one) with my friend, who will let me use his PC. If my new card works there I suppose I'm going to reinstall windows. My friend does have a geforce card as well, but as it works, there should be no need to uninstall the drivers there right?

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
The test session was useless, my friend's video card was connected to his motherboard by some wire that could not be connected to mine. Also his psu wasn't powerful enough. *sigh*

I'm going to try and wipe the hard drive and reinstall windows, but if this doesn't help I think I'm going to take the machine to a shop to be properly inspected and fixed. Thanks to all who bothered to help, but after a week of fruitless work my patience is pretty much spent.

theholylancer

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2005
o_O ouch

well hope it works out for ya, maybe ask the shop to test just the 5750 for free if you can (some shops willing to do this, or at least do it for cheap vs a whole system) as long as it's just dropping it in and check if it works in windows and what nots

kokin

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
If you've got a local Best Buy or Fry's store near you, I know they're willing to test if your GPU is faulty or if it's your system.

Soulmachiklamo

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2010
It'l probably be your psu as everyone says. But are you sure your cables are hooked up, your gpu is set steady in its pci-e slot and that the card isn't broke?

But the most logic reason is that you need a new psu, good luck with it...

lauri

Distinguished
Feb 8, 2010
Hello everybody!

Just came back to tell you that the problem is now fixed. The machine had a faulty motherboard and the old gfx card was indeed broken. The new card was fine though.

A big thanks to all who wasted their time on my issue!

-Lauri