Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Nforce chipset with ati video card

Last response: in Graphics & Displays
November 30, 2009 8:45:30 PM

I just recently bought a ati radeon 4650 pci-e16 2.0 card for an old mobo set up that im building for my father. The board is an ECS group nforce 9ma. has 8100 north bridge chip set on it, but it has no way of a video out. The only way to display is to use a card.
Now the problem is the graphics card wont display. I know for a fact that it works( Tested In a completely different system ) I just cant get an output. I know the system is running( HDD and Dvd-rom "sounds" like they are booting.

Now I've hit a wall. -_-
I have tried installing windows with the video card drivers on my other system ( knew that wouldnt work) Worth a shot though. I tried Booting linux ( live cd ). I have even Tried Putting my HDD in there with all my drivers and seeing if windows would update the drivers( via internet) But nothing after hours of waiting.
What do I do next. Should I just sell the card and get an Nvidia card or get a new mobo? or is there a way to get this set up to work.
Mobo: Ecs Nforce 9ma
CPU: AMD Phenom x4 9650
Ram: 4 Gigs 1066
I am Trying to install Windows 7 64bit.
Also I am using a 350W PSU all the PSU calculators I used recommended about a 330 so I believe this should work.
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 8:50:02 PM

Are there any beeps when you turn it on? (that is assuming you have a BIOS/Case speaker of course). What brand is your PSU?
m
l
November 30, 2009 8:54:16 PM

No No beeps from the Case speaker.
The PSU is a Rosewill Came with the case. brand new just came in this morning.
And Ill also add that just 5 weeks ago before I got My new mobo this ECS Got the latest bios update.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 9:10:03 PM

It sure is a pain they decided to not hook up the onboard video. I'd suggest triple checking all the connections and reseating components, then try again. ATI cards run fine on NVidia chipsets (I am doing that now on another system) so that is not the issue. It may be another component is defective or there is not enough power.
November 30, 2009 9:25:26 PM

EXT64 said:
It sure is a pain they decided to not hook up the onboard video. I'd suggest triple checking all the connections and reseating components, then try again. ATI cards run fine on NVidia chipsets (I am doing that now on another system) so that is not the issue. It may be another component is defective or there is not enough power.

Well Its not that they didnt decide to hook it up it doesnt have any form of a video out from the mobo. ( Vga, dvi, hdmi)
Also I just tried but Unplugging all components and plugging them back in. Also Instead of the quad core I installed a dual core and only put one dim back in. Just used the single Hdd and the video card. now the hdd is Accessing and the video card fan is pulsating.( spins at like 30% then has small like 100% bursts.) Kinda sounds like its In a reboot loop.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 9:35:25 PM

I meant that you can see the solder spots where they could have attached a VGA plug, but didn't.
m
l
November 30, 2009 9:42:25 PM

EXT64 said:
I meant that you can see the solder spots where they could have attached a VGA plug, but didn't.

Oh yes There are those where they could have. Idk what to do now I cant even see the bios. I think im going to build my old system. (ecs mobo, nvidia 9800gtx+, with the ram and cpu and my 630w) just to see if the mobo still works. If so Ill go buy the Zotac gt 220. It has 1gb and 128 bit just like this card but it has some more processing speed.
Unless there would be away to get this radeon to work. But by the looks it seems like to much work.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 9:48:28 PM

Well, if you could try the system with just a new PSU, that would give useful info too. If that doesn't work, than we know for sure that something else besides the PSU is at fault.
m
l
November 30, 2009 9:56:09 PM

EXT64 said:
Well, if you could try the system with just a new PSU, that would give useful info too. If that doesn't work, than we know for sure that something else besides the PSU is at fault.

Yes that is my next step to get a the other system build use my 630 psu and see if not ill drop one of my 9800gtxs in there and see if that works
m
l
a b U Graphics card
November 30, 2009 10:38:26 PM

Yeah, there is no incompatibility between that Mobo and the card (unless ECS really screwed up), however that doesn't mean the card itself isn't defective (or PSU, or MB). It is good that you have extra working parts around. It really helps troubleshooting. I know when I got my first 4850 and it wouldn't boot, it was very helpful to be able to put my old 6800 in and see everything work fine. With that info, I knew the 4850 was bad and with a quick RMA to Newegg, the second 4850 is still working great 1.5+ years later. So if you do conclude the card is faulty, try an RMA first if possible.
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:51:02 AM

EXT64 said:
Yeah, there is no incompatibility between that Mobo and the card (unless ECS really screwed up), however that doesn't mean the card itself isn't defective (or PSU, or MB). It is good that you have extra working parts around. It really helps troubleshooting. I know when I got my first 4850 and it wouldn't boot, it was very helpful to be able to put my old 6800 in and see everything work fine. With that info, I knew the 4850 was bad and with a quick RMA to Newegg, the second 4850 is still working great 1.5+ years later. So if you do conclude the card is faulty, try an RMA first if possible.

Yes it is very Helpful having the spare parts. :) 
Late response I know Went to work and this issues was bugging my for the whole 5 hours.
But anyways Took My psu out of my system and Popped it into the new one. Still no display.
So I though maybe if I install windows with my 9800 in there then install the drivers It will boot with the 4650.
But Now I cant even get a display From the 9800.. not even a bios. I clears the cmos and all that jazz still nothing :cry: 
I have a very big reason to believe the Mobo is Dead. :pfff: 
Unless there would be something else I could try But Im out of ideas.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
December 1, 2009 10:14:11 AM

Which parts have you used before (and thus think it is very likely they are still working, besides the big PSU and 9800 of course)?
m
l
December 1, 2009 4:38:52 PM

EXT64 said:
Which parts have you used before (and thus think it is very likely they are still working, besides the big PSU and 9800 of course)?

well I'm Troubleshooting it with a phenom 9650 and 4 gigs of 1066 Kingston hyperx. ( I Do Have a Athlon 64x2 that I have in there to use less power incase its the psu). I dont even use An HDD All I want to see is a bios atleast.
m
l
December 4, 2009 5:38:48 PM

Ok Adding this For the Ppl who are having the same problem.
What I did was reseated the CPU. I did it before but I Guess The socket was Just messed up or something. Then Cleared Cmos and I had the Bios. :D 
Also I Moved the single stick I was using to a Dimm that the Mobo manual Said to use for "best performance"(Even Though I was going to be using 4 sticks In the system anyways.

m
l
!