Will a DDR2 1066MHz Memory module work in a 533Mhz slot

Hello,

I have a GA-8I915G Duo Motherboard (which supports DDR2-533MHz memory modules). Will I be able to use a DDR2-1066Mhz memory module? Please help.

Memory Noob :??:
5 answers Last reply
More about will ddr2 1066mhz memory module work 533mhz slot
  1. They'll work on standard settings, but at 533 Mhz. You could overclock the board to try to get to 1066... but... that's a pretty big jump, so I doubt it would work reliably, if at all.

Better solution: Don't waste the money on fast RAM in the first place.
  2. Thanks Scotteq,

I suppose the same will apply if I consider using 800Mhz DDR2 memory modules.

Actually, I'd be happy to learn if it's ok to use 2 x 2Gb 800Mhz DDR2 memory modules for my GA-8I915G Duo Motherboard, which supports upto 2 x DDR2-533MHz memory modules.

(For some reason, the retailer I spoke to when requesting the same was adamant that this would not work. I wouldn't have suggested getting the 800MHz RAM if the 533Mhz RAM was available)

Apologies if my query sounds redundant, this is the first time I'm upgrading memory.

3. DDR2-800 modules should work fine but will only run at DDR2-533 speed - Faster memory can be used in lower speeds but lower speed rated memory can not always run at the faster speed -- Just make sure that the modules you get run at the correct voltage (not so much a problem with DDR2 modules but there are many different voltages for DDR3 modules and I do not remember if there are also for DDR2 or if they are all the same -- so be sure to check that the ones you get will run at the voltage your MOBO provides and they should work fine !)

THough there are still alot of DDR2-533 modules available also if you want to get them --- ( NEWEGG LINKIE )
  4. You can get a very cheap motherboard in the 50-70$ range that would support your ram and offer much better specs in general.
  5. Thanks everyone,

I don't want to toast my mobo by being an idiot. Will look through the mobo manual again to see if there are any hidden risks.

Ask a new question

Read More

Memory DDR2 Motherboards Product