Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Which block for my GPU's (6870's)

Last response: in Overclocking
May 5, 2012 8:21:37 AM

So I'm starting to purchase the parts for my first loop. I plan on cooling a new i7-3770k, ans two hd6870s in crossfire.

I'll have a XSPC Dual bay with internal MCP665-B for the pump/res and I haven't decided the rad yet (I'm thinking one 3x120mm will work, will take any advice)

But I'm currently researching the block for the GPU's and I'm unable to find any information about what cards are "Reference Design"

I ASSUME that my cards are reference design, but we all know assuming never works out.

HIS 6870 Here is one of my cards
XFX 6870 Here is the second of the cards.

Here's the block I was thinking of working with: Heatkiller X^3

I know they're probably both reference but I just need to KNOW. If you could point me towards literature about reference and what isn't reference I would love to read that aswell.

Thanks guy!

P.S. If you have any suggestions please let me know!

Radeon HD6870 1GB x 2 Crossfire [XFX + HIS]
890FXA-GD65 Mother Board [Soon to be z77 Mobo]
Phenom II Quad Core @3.4GHZ [Soon to be i7-3770k]
Corsair H70 Liquid CPU Cooler With P/P [soon to be custom loop]
Patriot 8GB RAM DDR3 1333 [Soon to be something else lol!]
Rosewill Bronze 1000W Modular PSU
NZXT Phantom White/Red with Red Trim [Sexy case]

More about : block gpu 6870

a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 8:26:27 AM

Is it really a good idea to spend almost as much on waterblocks to cool the 6870s, as you did on the 6870s themselves?
m
l
May 5, 2012 8:43:53 AM

I can't seem to find any other blocks for them though :'(  it sucks a ton, but I REALLY don't want to spend 500$ for a 680 when I only got the 6870s like a month ago :'( 

If you know of another block let me know.
m
l
Related resources

Best solution

a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 8:54:19 AM

I dont, or id tell ya. Watercooling midrange cards just isnt very cost efficient. Id try to sell them both and move to a 7950 or 7970 or 680. Then you wouldnt really need to WC anything due to the fact there is less heat generated with 1 card. And both the new gen card lines generate less heat overall. Got 2 7970s in my system and an OC 1090T and have zero temp issues with both cards maxxed out on OC as well. Watercooling is a lot of work when building a custom loop. Do a ton of research so nothing surprises you later, built my own custom loops about 4 or 5 years ago and it was a major pain in the butt to maintain.
a c 225 K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 2:32:48 PM

Stephen72000 said:
I can't seem to find any other blocks for them though :'(  it sucks a ton, but I REALLY don't want to spend 500$ for a 680 when I only got the 6870s like a month ago :'( 

If you know of another block let me know.

Any way you look at it you will pay about $104.00 for each water block because you'll need to add the fittings too, finding the other brands in stock will be difficult, IMO for a full coverage block here's your best option.
m
l
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 9:28:46 PM

The first card is definitely reference design, but the second most likely isn't. The cooler design is generally the same for reference design cards, but some companies' non-reference coolers actually have a reference PCB (which is the important part).

If you're looking to stay cheaper, I'd suggest universal waterblocks rather than full cover blocks.
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:37:42 AM

Hey thanks guys, I totally never thought about "Lol my cards suck why am i doing this?"

'll upgrade to a 680 soon and then I won't even need a watercool. I definately like that idea.
m
l
May 6, 2012 1:38:00 AM

Best answer selected by Stephen72000.
m
l
!