Intel Core i7-3770K 4GHz - 4.4GHz

Hi,

New to the forum and it's been over 13 years since I last build a PC or OC'ed anything for that matter.
So back school for me when it comes to overclocking as I'm very outdated with current technology.

My question is that I'm building a new system soon with a i7-3770K and I would like to do a small OC on it.
With a base frequency of 4Ghz and anything above 4.4GHz that's stable and can endure 24/7 of service.
But I need a step by step guide on how to overclock the CPU, what programs I need, etc etc.

The mainboard (not definite at this point) is ASRock Z77 Extreme4 // http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157293

Any help would be appreciated!
10 answers Last reply
More about intel core 3770k 4ghz 4ghz
  1. i actually have the same motherboard and the same CPU.
    i easily overclocked to 4.4ghz with every volt and settings at stock.
    4.4ghz is achievable without doing anything else.

on the bios just go to the second setting, OC CPU and press "4.4Ghz Turbo"
    done.
    i haven't gotten past 4.4 yet but im shooting for 4.6 or 4.8.

what i did is i put the setting for 4.2Ghz Turbo and then changed the BCLK to 105mhz for 4.4ghz.
  2. Oh sounds easy, what's your temp on the CPU during load/gaming?
    And which cpu cooler are you using?
  3. during Left 4 Dead 2 its 29% average load. 48C average.
    during Tribes Ascend its 18% average load. 46C average.
    during Star Wars: The Old Republic its 10% average load. 37C average.

max temp goes to 65 minimum is 28.
    average idle temp is 32.
    the max gaming temp i get is 60 but since the cpu is barely used while im gaming it usually stays in the 40's or 50's when turbo is at 4.4ghz.

i use cooler master hyper 212+
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835103065
  4. ok my bad.
    it is not stable when it goes above 60% usage at 4.4 GHz.
    i haven't had it go above 50% ever so i thought it was stable.
    i clocked it back down to 4.2GHz at stock voltages, if u want more than that ull have to modify the voltage urself.
    it started going to 68C and 70% usage at 4.4GHz when i was converting a video file with processor priority on realtime and then it decided to crash >_>.
    so below 50% usage at 4.4 = stable
    and above 50% usage at 4.4 = oh crap

anyone else have any input to help this person? i feel like i failed :( lol.
  5. im actually working on overclocking it right now. doing small steps. had it OC'd to 4.5Ghz and thought it was stable untill i started rendering huge video files and the pc would crash. voltage was set at 1.22, probably too low.

anywho, i have the same cpu but a different board. asus sabertooth z77. use a corsair h80 cooler.

so far my best results are...

multiplier set to 45.0 @ 1.24 Volts. yeah it sounds a little high but my Turbo V software did it on its own for some reason. max temp while rendering @ 99% load peaked at 73C. this is 4522Mhz

stock settings it takes 1:30 (minutes:seconds), these settings are 1:16.

so far i had no luck going up into the 4.6ghz area, pc becomes unstable right away and crashes "blue screen"... but will keep trying.
  6. little update. droped the bclk to 100.0, multiplier of 45 still at 1.24V, now a little slower at 4500Mhz, but rendering now 1:14 instead of 1:16... :) temps max at 73C
  7. Thanks for the input guys, much appreciated.
    Still haven't decided which mainboard to go with or CPU cooler.
    Last thing I want to do is fry the CPU :??:
  8. I found the easiest way to get a stable overclock with the least amount of voltage was to do a little experimenting of my own. Using the ASUS Maximus V Extreme mobo I did not overclock in the traditional since, but instead increased my Turbo speed for the i7 3770k to 4.6 GHz.

Voltage wise I run in offset mode + 0.100 which gives a CoreV flux between 0.960 and 1.272. I cool with the Thermaltake Water 2.0, which will give better temps than other users will experience, but here are the min max temps I observed per core with real temp: 26-53, 23-53, 24-48, and 27-48. Most of the time each core runs between 25 and 30 Celsius with the default settings on the Water 2.0.

I only noticed a 1/4 a second slow down on my usual Windows boot. For the most part this config seems pretty stable running 3 games (doing in game benchmarking) and 6 applications at the same time with no hiccups.

In this offset configuration 4600.12 MHz seems to run between 1.216 and 1.224 on average, peaking out at 1.272 in only the most intensive situations.

Some may argue that this is not a true overclock, but it yields the same results and works better with the hotter running Ivy's.

I definitely recommend pushing the boundaries of the Ivy processors by using the offset voltage setting and slowly increasing your + voltage in the BIOS to get the best results at the coolest temps.
  9. yeah i've found it completely stable at 4.5ghz with +.94v offset
  10. Hi i need help from prof. guys ( sorry iam nop overclocking )
    i have Intel core i7 3770k and corsair h 100 and asrock z77 extreme 4
    i want to know suitable v core when overclock to 4 - 4.2 - 4.5 -4.7 - 5 GHz or just leave it default
    Thanks in Advance
Ask a new question

Read More

CPUs Overclocking Intel i7 Product