Can't dual boot after installing windows 8

nhorton79

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Hello,

I had a 500gb disk split into a couple of partitions a small system partition, then approx. 220gb for window vista (original when purchased) and a windows 7 (later added).

I recently purchased windows 8 and installed this to the vista partition, I formatted the partition during the install process.

I wanted to keep my windows 7 and 8 with the OS selection when booting, but now when I boot it goes straight to windows.

I have gone into the startup & recovery setting section under the advanced tab of the computer properties window, but while it says to display the list for 30 secs, when I try the dropdown box for a default OS there is only the windows 8 showing. Does this mean that my windows 7 is gone?

When I look at the partition that it was on (shown as a separate drive under win8), it would appear that everything is still there.

Is this a problem with MBR?

HELP! Need to be able to dual boot.
Thanks

Solution

I originally ran XP and then I bought a 2nd HDD and installed Windows 7 on it and it automatically set up a dual boot. I replaced the XP HDD with a new one and installed Window8 on it and I expected to again have a dual boot setup. Nope.

I took nhorton79's suggestion and booted up the Windows 7 CD and ran repair. It found the Windows 7. The first time I booted into Windows 7 CHKDSK started and it went through both drives. I was in a panic that I had destroyed my Windows 7 but it all came out OK.

The dual boot is slower than the one I had previously but I am a happy camper now.

Thanks...

nhorton79

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Sorry

Didn't realise it had actually posted my first attempt. I received a message from the server saying that it didn't post because it didn't meet some rule or something. So I tried again.

Is there some way I can delete this post?

Nick

nhorton79

Honorable
Dec 30, 2012
Well...posting in a forum was the most useless waste of time. All I received were moans about duplicate posting...though when I check "my threads" it only shows one post. Strange!

Anyhow...I managed to sort this out myself.

Thought I would let those you read this know how to do it.

Stick your Windows 7 dvd into drive and reboot computer from cd drive
When it brings up the options click "Repair and Restart". Done!

RockFox

Honorable
Jan 28, 2013

I originally ran XP and then I bought a 2nd HDD and installed Windows 7 on it and it automatically set up a dual boot. I replaced the XP HDD with a new one and installed Window8 on it and I expected to again have a dual boot setup. Nope.

I took nhorton79's suggestion and booted up the Windows 7 CD and ran repair. It found the Windows 7. The first time I booted into Windows 7 CHKDSK started and it went through both drives. I was in a panic that I had destroyed my Windows 7 but it all came out OK.

The dual boot is slower than the one I had previously but I am a happy camper now.

Thanks nhorton79!

Solution