Mixing Memory

mchad1403

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2010
Hey guys, I am just wondering if this change will speed up or slow down the speed of my computer, my specs are:

Mobo: ASUS P5P43TD , Supports up to DDR3 1600MHz (O.C.)
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad 2.33 GHz Q8200 2MB L2 Cache
RAM: 1x Single Channel 2GB Super Talent PC3-10600 (1333 MHz.) CL9
OS: Microsoft Windows XP Pro 64-bit (Cannot run anything past because my NIC is not supported)

Now i have 3 open memory slots. I would like to get two Dual Channel 2GB Corsair dominator PC-12800 (1600 MHz.) CL8 RAM chips.

I know obviously the higher speed and lower CL will be quicker overall if i remove the current RAM and replace it, but i would like to keep it in just because it is a good piece of memory.

Solution
You are correct. Remove your current RAM module, and then replace it with the kit to achieve the DC mode. Keeping the original module is a good idea, too, just don't mix it in with the kit.

In terms of DC vs SC, consider this...

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory...
You are correct. Remove your current RAM module, and then replace it with the kit to achieve the DC mode. Keeping the original module is a good idea, too, just don't mix it in with the kit.

In terms of DC vs SC, consider this...

Dual-channel technology was created to address the issue of bottlenecks. Increased processor speed and performance requires other, less prominent components to keep pace. In the case of dual channel design, the intended target is the memory controller, which regulates data flow between the CPU and system memory (RAM). The memory controller determines the types and speeds of RAM as well as the maximum size of each individual memory module and the overall memory capacity of the system. However, when the memory is unable to keep up with the processor, a bottleneck occurs, leaving the CPU with nothing to process. Under the single-channel architecture, any CPU with a bus speed greater than the memory speed would be susceptible to this bottleneck effect.
The dual-channel configuration alleviates the problem by doubling the amount of available memory bandwidth. Instead of a single memory channel, a second parallel channel is added. With two channels working simultaneously, the bottleneck is reduced. Rather than wait for memory technology to improve, dual-channel architecture simply takes the existing RAM technology and improves the method in which it is handled. While the actual implementation differs between Intel and AMD motherboards, the basic theory stands.

The above info was the results of a search from wikipedia. I found it while looking for a better explanation than I originally posted.

Solution