Temperature 7970 question

xFarMan

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hey guys, I've been googling this for about two hours to no avail. Online a lot of benchmarks have the Sapphire HD 7970 clocking in under 40 C, but my card, it's overclocked with the TrixX software, gets under 45 C at night and right now under 60. This is idle. Under load this thing goes all the way to the high 80's.Are these acceptable temperatures? I don't want to fry my GPU in a year.Thanks!

Well the cooler you can run it the longer it will last, that's a given, anyway you look at it.

These companies don't want these cards to last forever, but we the users would like for them to last until we decide to replace them.

A 60c idle temperature is bad IMO, I would be investigating running it cooler.

My load temperatures on my water cooled 580GTXs in SLI are 40c.

xFarMan

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Yeah I had a feeling. And I agree with you completely. Question is how can I cool my gpu? I can't remove the heat sink or fan (warranty would be voided). Maybe upgrading my case? I don't know how to go about doing this properly. Or maybe I should just stop overclocking in general.

??? As far as I know, replacing the stock cooling solution on a graphics card does not void the warranty, BIOS Flashing it does.

You keep all the stock parts in case you do have a failure requiring an RMA, but how could they possibly know you changed the cooling solution anyway?

Look at this look at the reference cards idle temps, yours are way too high.

Could be the factory application of the thermal compound on the GPU could be bad, or the contact with the GPU is bad regarding the stock heat sink, because your idle temps are just too high.