Update to GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H not posting thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcaren

Distinguished
Mar 5, 2006
Not sure if this update/info thread belongs here or not, but in case anyone buys one of these motherboards to use with an AMD Phenom II x6 CPU (esp. from Newegg) here is some info that might help you...

I purchased this motherboard (GIGABYTE GA-890GPA-UD3H) and could not get the thing to post at all (see thread http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/275057-30-gigabyte-890gpa-ud3h-mobo-post. I was using this board with an AMD Phenom II X6 1055T Thuban 2.8GHz Socket AM3 125W Six-Core Desktop Processor. I had read in the Newegg reviews of this motherboard that there were issues with the older bios version and my particular CPU, but I got the impression that people were able to update the bios and continue without a problem. In my case I couldn't get the motherboard to post at all, so I couldn't reach a point where I could update the bios. After initiating my RMA with Newegg, I received a call from Gigabyte (I had requested a speedier replacement, but the call was too late...). Anyway, the Gigabyte rep said that my particular version of that board (version 1.0) has two typical problems that occur when used with the AMD Phenom II x6 CPU:

1. The board will not post at all (fans will spin, but that's all). This was my symptom.
2. The board will freeze at the Gigabyte logo screen.

If I understood the rep. correctly, it is possible to fix this problem, but I think you have to send the board back to Gigabyte to get them to fix it. If you're lucky enough to get a Version 2.0 board you don't have this problem.

I did run into a snag with Newegg after talking to Gigabyte -- I immediately contacted Newegg to make sure that they were sending me a Version 2.0 board as my replacement, and I was told that they could not specify a particular version for shipment -- if I received a 1.0 board again, I would have to return it (and Gigabyte said that in that case I could contact them for a replacement). Nice enough -- but not great since this was a long overdue gift.

I was lucky enough to receive a 2.0 board yesterday -- I am hopeful that the Gigabyte rep was correct and this board will post.

Hopefully Newegg will check their stock and make sure they're selling the updated version.

Status
Not open for further replies.