Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Watercooling solution needed for triple sli galaxy gtx570 oc

Last response: in Overclocking
May 5, 2012 4:44:55 PM

I currently have added watercolling to my CPU (antec 920) and it rocks. Running around 20c at idle and I'm overclocked!

I want to water cool my triple mdt gtx 570 oc galaxy cards. I have an antec 1200 case. I think by water cooling I can free up a ton of fans and I can get these cards to low temps. At 100% load my cards reach 95c. I want them as low as possible.

Can someone tell me if there is a kit I can just buy? Maybe a parts list? I don't want to go all over the place to buy parts and I don't want to spend a ton of money if possible, but I'm the kind of person that likes to buy once and buy quality tested parts.

Thoughts?
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 8:33:49 PM

20C is about 68F, is your room really colder than this? You cannot cool lower than ambient room temperatures with watercooling.

Sounds like you need to read through the watercooling sticky.
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 9:18:09 PM

Quote:
I currently have added watercolling to my CPU (antec 920) and it rocks. Running around 20c at idle and I'm overclocked!

Doesn't mean much; load temps are what are important. What are you hitting after an hour using Prime95 or Intel's BurnTest?

Quote:
I want to water cool my triple mdt gtx 570 oc galaxy cards. I have an antec 1200 case. I think by water cooling I can free up a ton of fans and I can get these cards to low temps. At 100% load my cards reach 95c. I want them as low as possible.

Can someone tell me if there is a kit I can just buy? Maybe a parts list? I don't want to go all over the place to buy parts and I don't want to spend a ton of money if possible, but I'm the kind of person that likes to buy once and buy quality tested parts.

What are you looking to spend? Take a read through the sticky and you'll find much knowledge.

SPOILER ALERT: You still need fans to watercool.
Score
May 6, 2012 11:23:27 PM

lets make this easy...

i do not want to have 8 fans blowing air into my cards from the side of the case
i do not want to have a fan on each card blowing out
i do not want to have my cards peaking 98-99c on full load while in a game

i want to get a full block, 2 fans (or whatever i need) a radiator, etc that will keep my cards under 70c at all times... i have successfully got them OC to 895/1790/2000 @ 1.1v stable no issues BUT heat

so... what do i need to buy to keep these cool and accomplish this? say money is not a factor to start and i will scale from there...

thanks!
Score
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 11:41:33 PM

Regardless of financial ability, you'll still need several radiators to cool this system effectively. Give the sticky a thorough read-through and you'll be able to answer these questions yourself.

We don't spoonfeed people answers here because it will hurt you in the long run (actually, most forums don't). In order to make this easier on everybody (you included), you need to invest some time into researching this.
Score
May 7, 2012 12:53:47 AM

anyone else but boiler1990 have a usefull response thats not go do the research yourself? In case others what to suggest the same thing.... I have done the research know what i need to do, BUT i wanted to see if anyone else... that has triple sli 570s or 580s... what is your setup? Also.. you need to understand that the galaxy mdt 570 is a special card as it blows from the rear and has 4 dvi inputs!

so... back to the original question... does anyone have triple sli 570s or 580s?

if so, and you are using water cooling.. what are you using? did you buy a kit? where did you buy the stuff?
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 2:47:43 AM

You aren't going to find a 'kit' for what you want...they don't make kits for customized loops for specific hardware. The only kits you'll find will be CPU only for the most part.

If you don't know what you'll need nor how to effectively set it up, what good does it do for us to just tell you what to buy? Then what? You still have to set it up, fill the loop, get air out, leak test and then maintain it for the life of the loop. We aren't going to be around to help with that and you'll be hard pressed finding any forum that wants to answer your questions one by one, 'ok, then what do I do next?'

To be honest- not many people run triple cards- if you have that kind of cash, you are running dual high-end cards and that's about it. If you have the cash for Tri-SLI 570's or 580's, most people would just go instead for dual 590's or 680's. There is very little benefit for Tri-SLI outside of sheer number crunching using GPGPU processing.

I'm not going to tell you that you shouldn't buy them, but there is little difference in a watercooling loop between 2x SLI and 3x SLI- you just have one more card, more restriction and more heat in your loop to be calculated for the delta you want.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 12:33:46 PM

Build an external radbox, throw a couple of 360/480 rads in it with 12/16 slow fans on pushpull, some quick disconnects for maintenance
a reservoir and pump,
plumb that into your gfx cards and watch the load temps plummet,
I like the idea that Watercooling means no/less fans,
I must be doing it wrong cause I have 28 fans on my build lol
Moto
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 1:44:16 PM

Quote:
I like the idea that Watercooling means no/less fans,
I must be doing it wrong cause I have 28 fans on my build lol

Nah- I just think new folks are assuming it's still 2002 and you can run an almost passive setup with a minimalist build. Watercooling does not equal 'silent', but there is a stigma that won't die that says it is. However, smart fan and radiator choice can really make a huge impact on audible noise levels.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 1:53:10 PM

You've heard mine, pretty close to silent hehe, needz moar fannzz :p 
and rads and probably just one more pump should do it :p 
Moto
Score
May 7, 2012 2:15:54 PM

Sounds like there are far too many people in this thread who feel overly confident and cocky about their liquid-cooling experience :) 

So ignore most of them. If you want to spend the money doing this, here's what you do:

1) Buy 3 of these - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/13920/ex-blc-955/Heat...

2) Buy one of these - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/5326/ex-rad-109/Black...

3) Buy one of these - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/6190/ex-pmp-54/Swifte...

4) Buy one of these - http://www.frozencpu.com/products/14284/ex-res-321/Bits...

Stick with Feser One for coolant - http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c337/s887/list/p1/L...

Use Tygon Tubing:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l2/g30/c457/list/p1/Liquid...

I know there are lot of types, but what you care about is 1) Flexibility 2) bend angles. Stiffer tubing kinks at very wide angles. Tygon won't do this. Also, use anti-kinks that can be found Here:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c289/s715/list/p1/L...

You didn't mention the type of liquid-cooling setup you have for your CPU, so i'm going to guess its an all-in-one solution like the H100.

For GPU's, you need the custom blocks, and you need to build your own loop. The pump I linked is by far the best out there at 317GPH, it makes all over pumps look like little girls.

If you haven't built a water-cooled system, read up and figure out how. The most important part is case space and measuring where you'll put the pump, reservoir and how the tubing will work. Use SLI adapters to link the 3 GPU waterblocks:

http://www.frozencpu.com/cat/l3/g30/c101/s873/list/p1/L...

Make sure you take note on the SIZES of adapters, nozzles and tubing (anti-kink coils too). The nozzles that the tubing connects to will need to take the INNER DIAMETER of the tubing into account, while anti-kink coils care less about inner-diameter and need to be matched to the OUTER diameter to work well.

As far as the arguments made by the others, the main concern is whether you're confident that you can build a loop and whether you're ok with the cost. The system can easily cost more than a GTX680 ALONE. The question is whether you want to spend that much money liquid cooling 570's instead of just ebaying them and getting two GTX680's with the liquid cooling money you have.
Score
May 7, 2012 2:25:25 PM

FrozenCPU is your one source for any liquid-cooling parts you need. Prices are great and you don't have to run everywhere. Yes, GPU water-blocks are stupidly expensive and compression fittings can be super expensive, but you'd rather purchase things once and forget about them, than save money on crap that you have to mess with constantly.

Also, ambient room temperature will be your ultimate limitation as they were saying. Yes you will need three 120mm fans for the rad. Depending on your case, these can be slow and silent. Use a filter on the rad with the fans, so the fins don't get gunk in them.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 3:32:09 PM

Oh where to begin?
**You didn't mention the type of liquid-cooling setup you have for your CPU**
He does, Antec 920, right on the opening line, can't miss it
**Feser One for coolant **
No, just no, plain distilled and a killcoil, no premixes unless you want the aforementioned 6 monthly strip and clean
Shall we mention the importance of headrating with pumps or just link high flow numbers? although the pump linked is amongst the best, there are better for certain set ups
And as for Overconfident and cocky?
I personally operate with a delta below ambient temperatures,
A radbox similar to the radbox I mentioned helped 4Ryan6 (Toms overclocking god) achieve a 40'c drop in load temps on his graphics cards,
**Edit to add Ryans link**
and my rig is pretty much silent,
if I'm confident and cocky, its because I earned the gorram right to be,
and how did I start in W/c? thats right, by reading the stickies, and learning from them
Rubix and boiler are both well respected W/c guys here as well so excuse our flippancy with our advice, its borne of some years experience, not just C&P'd from our favourite wetsite
Rant over and I apologise to the op for responding to this in your thread but it had to be answered
Moto

Score
May 7, 2012 4:12:41 PM

You have a right to be ignorant too, as well as immature. That doesn't mean that its helpful or useful in this thread.

He asked for advice and a buying list of recommended parts and so far you haven't contributed anything. As far as your two quotes to my rather lengthy post, they're both trivial and hilarious that someone who thinks they know so much about liquid-cooling has very little to say about it.

Who cares if i missed what type of CPU cooler he had, its not relevant and makes no difference.

Feser One works just fine and with any PC that sits in a dusty home that circulates air constantly throughout its interior, I ALWAYS recommend a cleanup every 12 months or sooner. You can use a killcoil and avoid premixes, which is fine, but you never suggested that too him did you?

Why go any deeper in detail? You know his application and you know that the pump is great and will work well.

As far as a delta below ambient temps, I'm so proud of you. Let's take up this persons time by flaunting your own insignificant achievements and insulting them with being overly-cocky for what you've accomplished.

I've spent 16 years doing this, before you were probably even born and that's also why i don't have the immature and unproductive attitude that you do.

So take your attitude somewhere else.
Score
a c 190 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 4:22:52 PM

**Feser One for coolant **
No, just no, plain distilled and a killcoil**
Suggested already, another pertinent detail you missed
**Who cares if i missed what type of CPU cooler he had, its not relevant and makes no difference**
I care, when you miss important things out as you are dispensing advice
And yes, I was flaunting my achievements as a way of saying I know what I'm on about, what better way is there?
I must have missed the O Levels in Watercooling when I was at school
and yes, I have contributed a suggestion, as well as the Radbox, I suggested reading the sticky and learning more,
so take him shopping, and next time he needs help you take him again,
give a man a fish, or teach him to fish?
and I'm a touch over 16 thank you,
if you want to really pick at things though, capitalise your 'I''s when referring to yourself,
Moto
Score
May 7, 2012 4:32:11 PM

Again, be helpful, not an overly-cocky and confident a child and help him.

If he hasn't read the sticky and done his own research, then he will. Talk about parts and give him advice. Avoid all of the complicated options and details that you and I work with and that his scope and application is simple and doesn't require much information to solve.
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 4:42:15 PM

FrozenCPU is one of the more expensive retailers out there, but they usually have a pretty large selection. There are several others to consider, especially when looking to save some cash.

Quote:
Stick with Feser One for coolant -

You would want to avoid Feser One more than anything else. Please do not suggest a user to purchase a product that is well-known to break down in high-usage loops and particulate matter to become embedded into your blocks.

You don't need kink coils with good tubing- it's pointless.

I think your approach by dismissing the suggestions of the rest of us is somewhat arrogant and misleading, especially since you are suggesting a D5 pump when a loop like this easily calls more for a DDC pump (or 2) since it will be a fairly restrictive setup with 3x SLI blocks and fittings.

You also don't need compression fittings, you can simply use barbs. This will save a lot of money and there isn't much benefit of one over the other outside of looks.

I'd also like to make the statement that much of the information being discussed is also within the sticky. The entire point behind not constantly ask/answer the same questions over and over and over is having the content contained within the sticky. If you find something in there that needs to be updated, added or omitted, please let me know. Outside of that- it should be the first thing that people read when they come here for questions as it has many, many links provided to help them understand their questions before they are asked.

Simply providing easy answers to questions and then attacking others for not doing the same does not make you a hero; if anything, you are going to make the process more difficult for this member down the road. Are you going to be on-call for every question he has?
Score
May 12, 2012 5:31:21 AM

thank you Cirdecus for supplying the list... I know those guys... grew up an hour from there... I'll look into your list... and thanks again. Finally someone that can just answer a question!
Score
a c 330 K Overclocking
August 6, 2012 2:27:27 PM

This topic has been closed by Rubix_1011
Score
!