Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Ocz ram, here's their offer. should i take it?

Last response: in Memory
June 5, 2010 2:45:33 AM

The ram I bought about two years ago that can't pass memtest and keeps locking up my computer...
ocz3p16004gk

They don't appear to manufacture it anymore and don't have any to send me as a replacement, so I'm just sitting here without a computer wondering if I should take their offer to replace it with this...
OCZ3G16004GK

Thanks for any help.

More about : ocz ram offer

a b } Memory
June 5, 2010 2:48:45 AM

Absolutely looks to me like it's the equivilant.
m
l
June 5, 2010 2:50:01 AM

so i shouldn't worry about going from 7-7-7 at 1.9 volts to 8-8-8 at 1.8 volts?
m
l
Related resources
a b } Memory
June 5, 2010 3:04:30 AM

What companies do for their customers is send a replacement that is equal or equivilant to the bad ram.
I hear what your saying about the timings.
Unfortunately that is the best matchup to your original they currently manufacture.
I don't think you'll notice too much of a difference.
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:11:55 AM

but it isn't as good correct? higher timings equals not as good? wonder if i can get credit towards something better somehow?
m
l
a b } Memory
June 5, 2010 3:23:10 AM

Not too sure about that i guess it's worth a shot.
Personally i've only had to rma ram once and it was replaced with what i sent them.
m
l
a b } Memory
June 5, 2010 8:02:30 AM

As you said it's an offer, so counter offer , insist on maintaining clock speed and timings. They make um and they got em.
m
l
June 5, 2010 2:59:49 PM

that or just try to reduce the timings on the new ones when you get them, and on top of that 8-8-8 are not horrible timings in the first place. its better than having a nonfunctional computer in my opinion.
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:23:01 PM

if they do give you credit, get some nice g.skill ddr3
m
l
June 5, 2010 3:24:37 PM

i just expect more out of a life time warranty than getting it replaced by something that isn't as good. Right now i'm hoping they'll give me a credit some how so that i can pay a little extra and get something a little better than a little worse.
m
l

Best solution

a b } Memory
June 5, 2010 4:53:01 PM

They are probably exactly the same just the extra .1V is needed to be stable at a CL7 -- many companies are trying to get rid of their higher voltage modules since many Intel MOBOs have had problems with Voltages over 1.65V so it is getting hard to find any 1.9V spec'd modules (most manufacturers are loosening the latency and lowering the voltage and rebranding them -- so the 1.9V 7's are probably the same module as the 1.8V 8's they are offering just with a different sticker applied !! (which is why they are offering them)
June 5, 2010 8:30:56 PM

that actually makes me feel quite a bit better. i'll see if they'll give me any option to pay a little more for something nicer and then decide with whatever they get back to me with on monday or tuesday.

Thanks guys.
m
l
June 5, 2010 8:31:10 PM

Best answer selected by axlrose.
m
l
a b } Memory
June 9, 2010 3:39:04 AM

axlrose said:
Check out the last five reviews in the last three weeks for the ram OCZ wants to give me.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

Yes but with Reviews on Newegg you have to be a bit skeptical as most of them are from people that haven't a clue on getting the BIOS setup properly -- Pretty much any DDR3 modules that are rated over 1.5V and/or 1333Mhz. will have alot of bad reviews ! (because they are used to plug and play when it comes to RAM modules and with the DDR3 modules that just is not possible (unless you are buying DDR3 1333 1.5V modules !) -- the manufacturers have to set the modules to run at 1333 1.5V by default so that all systems will be able to at least boot and enter the BIOS to change them to the actual settings ( If they had them default to the correct speed the DDR3 SPEC of 1.5V would make many of the higher speed modules not even boot so the voltage could be adjusted)

I'm not sure on the OCZ Gold but I just bought a 2GB. OCZ Platinum kit ( DDR3 1333 7-7-7-20 1.8V) and they are running fine with my Crucial Balllistix at DDR3 1600 8-8-8-24 1T @ 1.8V - Just installed them with the settings that the Crucial kit was already running at and have not had a single BSOD - and have used OCZ memory in the past and they have always had a pretty good amount of headroom over the spec for OCing - So I think they'll be fine for you.
m
l
June 10, 2010 12:13:29 AM

here's what evga says about the ram they are offering...

Answered By Stephan K (6/8/2010 11:08:34 PM): Matthew,

The voltage is still a bit low. This may work. But we cannot guarantee stability with this ram.

Thank you,
EVGA
m
l
a b } Memory
June 10, 2010 2:40:32 AM

axlrose said:
here's what evga says about the ram they are offering...

Answered By Stephan K (6/8/2010 11:08:34 PM): Matthew,

The voltage is still a bit low. This may work. But we cannot guarantee stability with this ram.

Thank you,
EVGA

The Voltage is LOW !! -- Are you sure that Stephan K wasn't thinking you were talking DDR2 RAM - I mean spec for DDR3 Ram is 1.5 so how he can say 1.8 is low ??? :pt1cable: 
m
l
June 10, 2010 3:35:51 AM

no, we've talked...a lot! are you still of the opinion i ought to just give the ram a try then?
m
l
a b } Memory
June 10, 2010 2:00:59 PM

axlrose said:
no, we've talked...a lot! are you still of the opinion i ought to just give the ram a try then?

I'd probably take them and at least give them a try -- figure worst case they do not run as expected and you have to RMA them at which point you can tell them you tried them and they do not work so need something different (I still think they'll be fine) - Or you could try to get them to send you something else - perhaps a set of these -- Platinum DDR3 2000Mhz Cas 9 - they are rated at the next step up in speed but a lower CAS so should also be comparable to what you had and maybe they'll send them instead (I mean the price point is about the same on the 2 sets.
m
l
June 10, 2010 8:15:52 PM

maybe i'll take their crappy offer then? i asked about that ram i believe (and one other 2000 ram) but that's an even lower voltage and they told me that was designed for the new core i processors and wouldn't work with my 9450.
m
l
June 11, 2010 1:57:31 AM

that is BS, just because it is designed for the certain processor (in this case all it means is it is low voltage RAM) doesn't mean that it will not work, there is no reason why 1.5 voltage RAM will not work with a Phenom, even if it isn't the most current version (just as long as your mother board supports it, and by it i mean ddr3 and based on what you had before i see no problem). there is no reason at all why it shouldn't work.
m
l
June 12, 2010 1:39:34 PM

okay, so i finally said i'd just take the gold kit and try it and the next day fedex tried to deliver the same platinum kit that i sent in only with a 1.7 volt instead of 1.9 volt. not sure how that happened, but ocz said someone at ocz must have found more?

anyway, anyone have easy directions for how to manually set the timings in bios? i don't think it's hard but when i built this system it was the first time i'd done it and ocz walked me through it.

thanks.
m
l
!