Sign in with
Your question

Overclocking Noob

Last response: in Overclocking
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 5, 2012 4:57:20 PM

Good morning to those who will bother to read this post. :D 

I'm in the process of overclocking my Palit GT 440 1g GDDR5. At present, I have my card overclocked at 910 mhz, and all seems well while running the stability test on Kombustor. The catch is that when I play, the games would either crash or produce artifacts. I know I should dial down my clock speeds but I want to ask the community about these:

1. Should I still continue to use Kombustor's stability test to check the stability of my card when overclocked or should I just play games?
2. Should I also raise the speed of my memory clocks? I've only raised my GPU core clock so I want to know.
3. Also, is 81-83*C safe for my graphics card?

Sensible help will really be appreciated. Thanks, community. :) 

More about : overclocking noob

May 6, 2012 2:17:30 PM

Are you insane? Overclocking your GPU without "proper" cooling support will make your system / game crash to desktop due to hardware (GPU) overheating.
So please, please do provide decent cooling for your GPU! You're going to KILL your poor GPU if you let it run @ 81-83*C!!!!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 3:11:18 PM

^This person is ignorant. GPUs are fine in the 80s C. A lower temperature would be nice, but nothing's going to fry. How are your case airflow and ambient temps?

Yes, you might as well go for the memory clock as well. Go about it in the same way as you would the core clock, stepping up and testing.

What do you mean by "all seems well"? Does the artifact counter remain at 0?
m
l
Related resources
May 6, 2012 3:25:01 PM

kajabla said:
^This person is ignorant. GPUs are fine in the 80s C. A lower temperature would be nice, but nothing's going to fry. How are your case airflow and ambient temps?

Yes, you might as well go for the memory clock as well. Go about it in the same way as you would the core clock, stepping up and testing.

What do you mean by "all seems well"? Does the artifact counter remain at 0?

Yeah, say that if you want. But, he will kill his GPU one day if he doesn't take care of that temperature. Making the GPU work @ around 80C~83C is crazy and could actually, in long run - damage the card.

Sigh... have fun advising him to fry his GPU and dry his thermal paste (due to high temp) for good...
m
l
May 6, 2012 4:56:45 PM

If 80C~ is under EXTREME gaming and your fan is on 100% I'd say your right on the line of too HOT! Although most cards are rated to run about 100C or a little more (suicidal on expensive cards). But, to me your just asking for the card to FAIL, and as pointed out it will defiantly shorten it's life span or die without warning.

So yeah... start worrying on your £300~£400 GPU if it runs @ 80C+++. You will regret it. For me, I will accept 65~75C (Max). 80C is just asking for the GPU to die...

IMO If you're crashing at 80C with a heavy overclock that's usually a sign that your overclock is unstable!
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 10:15:46 PM

Please present evidence!
Quote:
as pointed out
by you, maybe, but not by anyone else.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 110 K Overclocking
May 6, 2012 11:03:15 PM

Modern GPU's will run at 80C+ all day long, every day... Yes, it's good to keep them cooler if you can, but no real harm is being done.

To the OP, it just sounds like an unstable OC. Kombustor SHOULD be fine for a stability test, but it's always good to try actual games too, as you've seen. Either back the OC down a bit, or add slightly more voltage.

And I personally wouldn't raise the memory clock by much (if any at all). I truly believe that that's the cause of most unstable GPU OC's, actually. Usually, the higher you go with the core clock, the less you can OC the memory. I don't OC the memory at all on my GTX 560, honestly because from everything I've seen, the performance gain is minimal. Much larger gain in performance with just a pure core/shader clock OC.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 6:57:12 AM

Thanks for these guys.

Sounds like there's a bit disagreement over the appropriate temps, but it's really hard to keep temps down from where I'm at. My country's frickin' hot and humid, so there. I will try to decrease my temps, but I'm on a tight budget, what could you suggest?

Also, I scaled down my overclocking to 882 mhz, and I've been testing it on stability tests and games for a while, hence my late reply to this post. So far, I've been able to avoid artifacts, but there's this slight issue I'm concerned with. Every time I close a game, be it Assassin's Creed or AoE3, my driver would crash. Why do you think that is?
m
l
May 7, 2012 7:04:48 AM

faster23rd said:
Thanks for these guys.

Sounds like there's a bit disagreement over the appropriate temps, but it's really hard to keep temps down from where I'm at. My country's frickin' hot and humid, so there. I will try to decrease my temps, but I'm on a tight budget, what could you suggest?

Also, I scaled down my overclocking to 882 mhz, and I've been testing it on stability tests and games for a while, hence my late reply to this post. So far, I've been able to avoid artifacts, but there's this slight issue I'm concerned with. Every time I close a game, be it Assassin's Creed or AoE3, my driver would crash. Why do you think that is?

From my prediction, when you exit a game with an "Overclocked" GPU, the hardware must have down-clocked too quickly or return to it's original configuration too quickly. This may be the cause when playing high-end games and exit to desktop. However, I may be wrong...
m
l
a c 185 U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 8:53:16 AM

DJDeCiBeL said:
Modern GPU's will run at 80C+ all day long, every day... Yes, it's good to keep them cooler if you can, but no real harm is being done.

To the OP, it just sounds like an unstable OC. Kombustor SHOULD be fine for a stability test, but it's always good to try actual games too, as you've seen. Either back the OC down a bit, or add slightly more voltage.

And I personally wouldn't raise the memory clock by much (if any at all). I truly believe that that's the cause of most unstable GPU OC's, actually. Usually, the higher you go with the core clock, the less you can OC the memory. I don't OC the memory at all on my GTX 560, honestly because from everything I've seen, the performance gain is minimal. Much larger gain in performance with just a pure core/shader clock OC.

+1 I agree with DJDeCiBeL ;) 
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 7, 2012 10:58:05 PM

That's an odd one, OP. I'd like to see you test it with another GPU. Do you have access to a friend's card?

Nah, laircouk, that's not an issue. Thermal shock may degrade a piece of hardware over time, though it hasn't been studied in the world of electronics as far as I know, but it won't cause an acute event like a driver crash.

Note: I asked jsc, and he supports my viewpoint on the temperatures. "All you need is the article."
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 4:38:28 PM

kajabla said:
That's an odd one, OP. I'd like to see you test it with another GPU. Do you have access to a friend's card?

"

Yes, I know it is weird. Unfortunately, I don't have buddies who have other cards, they're into consoles, but I'm seeing less of the problem after recent bouts of gaming. I'm not entirely sure what happened.

Also, I may have found something disheartening. How many fps does OC add, anyway? I've been running tests lately and I discovered that going overclock only adds 1-2 fps. I might have to go back to normal clock settings if this goes unsolved.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 8:13:40 PM

It depends on the game, but that's odd too. What are your other specs?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 292 K Overclocking
May 8, 2012 8:30:23 PM

faster23rd said:
Yes, I know it is weird. Unfortunately, I don't have buddies who have other cards, they're into consoles, but I'm seeing less of the problem after recent bouts of gaming. I'm not entirely sure what happened.

Also, I may have found something disheartening. How many fps does OC add, anyway? I've been running tests lately and I discovered that going overclock only adds 1-2 fps. I might have to go back to normal clock settings if this goes unsolved.

What CPU do you have? Because overclocking the GPU while you use an Athlon X2 1900+ is like buy a Ferrari for use your bike.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 2:39:11 AM

So here are my specs.

Intel Pentium Dual Core E6600 @3.06 gHz
nVidia Geforce GT 440 GDDR5
2 gigs of RAM, 2 sticks with a gig each
500W stock PSU
ASUS P5NSLI mobo
Windows 7 Home Premium 32-bit

Also, I game on a relatively tiny 1028x768 monitor. So the performance issues really bother me. I have a hunch that the bottleneck is my RAM, since nowadays the 2gigs barely put much out.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 292 K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 12:57:53 PM

Get 2GB more of RAM, keep in mind that for a 1028x768 resolution, the stock GPU clocks are more that enough. Try also to rise the CPU clock a little, around 3.5GHz maybe with a GOOD cooler.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 3:08:12 PM

Okay, I will. I've long suspected that it was my RAM, so thanks for giving a better informed insight into this. I'm a little confused though, aren't stress tests like the ones on Kombustor only measure the GPU performance? Or do they also take into account the rest of the PC's specs, like the RAM or CPU for example?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 292 K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 3:19:24 PM

faster23rd said:
Okay, I will. I've long suspected that it was my RAM, so thanks for giving a better informed insight into this. I'm a little confused though, aren't stress tests like the ones on Kombustor only measure the GPU performance? Or do they also take into account the rest of the PC's specs, like the RAM or CPU for example?

Some programs only test the GPU but in real life, when you are playing, the game use the whole rig CPU, RAM, GPU.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 3:28:11 PM

saint19 said:
Some programs only test the GPU but in real life, when you are playing, the game use the whole rig CPU, RAM, GPU.

Ahhhh. Okay. But sir, as of my previous posts, I raised my concern that whenever I run a stress test, my overclocked GPU only adds 1-2 fps. Do you have an idea why?
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a c 292 K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 3:44:35 PM

faster23rd said:
Ahhhh. Okay. But sir, as of my previous posts, I raised my concern that whenever I run a stress test, my overclocked GPU only adds 1-2 fps. Do you have an idea why?

How much frames add to you games? I'd move on from Kombustor to a real program like Unigane Heaven DX11, test the GPU with that program and let me know the results.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
May 9, 2012 9:09:20 PM

Make sure the extra RAM you get is exactly the same as the stick you already have.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 28, 2013 8:16:45 AM

Hello, Tom's. It's been 8 months since I started this thread and, fortunately, it was 8 months well spent as I was able to purchase parts for and build a new rig. I had a gut feeling then to keep this thread open and with current developments regarding my setup, I think it's a good decision.

So here's what happened over the course of 8 months:

1. Got a meager RAM upgrade to temporarily quench my thirst for eye-candy in games

2. Managed to buy parts and completely make a new rig with only my old GT 440 retained. Here's the new setup:

i5-3570
ASUS P8Z77-M Pro
Kingston 4gb 1333 mHz (x4)
WD Caviar Blue 500gb
Thermaltake Toughpower XT 675 W
CM Storm Enforcer
Palit GT 440 1gb GDDR5

3. It's been less than a month since I built the rig and I was thrilled to see a solid performance increase on most games I play. Confident about my new rig, I decided to enable my i5's Turbo Boost as it was turned off when my rig was built. With help from my mobo's preset modes, I was able to send my i5 to 4.12 gHz but ultimately rolled it back due to heating concerns as I only have stock fans. I did leave Turbo Boost on though.

4. Finished tooling around with my CPU, I decided to once again attempt to overclock my video card in order to find out if my overclock headroom has increased. I ran tests and got around +10 fps at Kombustor tests and +3-5 in Unigine Heaven at 895 core clock and 1700 memory clock without noticeable artifacts. I went with this setting for a while until I spotted instances of artifacting and rolled back my clocks at stock speeds.

5. I fixed my CPU fan as its header was in the teh wrong place and did some minor cable management and dusting off. (I had to take off my graphics card here)

6. Yesterday, I went with my usual weekend ritual and gamed for 4+ hours. I left my rig alone for around 4 more hours since I was downloading TF2 from Steam. After returning, I resumed gaming and to my surprise my driver kept crashing. The driver crashes happened more when I played NFS Undercover. So I stopped my Steam download and rebooted my rig, ran Kombustor tests and Unigine Heaven fine. I then decided to play games, to my befuddlement, NFS was the only game that kept crashing, the rest (ME3, AC Brotherhood, MW3) ran fine.

7. Just now, I tried to go game and to my worry, I started getting BSODs. It is worse this time because every game went down with BSODs. To attempt to remedy this, I uninstalled my GPU driver and installed the previous 310.70 version, it stopped the BSODs but not the driver crashes. I downclocked my GPU core clock to 800 mhz and this failed as well. Cleaned my system, cleared my registry, and defragged, to no avail. Disabled Tubro Boost and failed too.

I picked up techniques on rig maintenance and troubleshooting over time and this problem has showed the limits of my knowledge.

Here's some observations and figures regarding my problem:

- GPU load goes crazy, reaching 428393040 at Afterburner
-Temperatures max at 75-80*C and idle at 39-41*C as shown by Afterburner and HWMonitor
-All fans are functional and are at speed

Here's to hoping I resolve this problem
Thanks, community :) 

m
l
January 28, 2013 11:25:03 PM

80*C is hot, but nothing to really worry about.. Tj- Max on most cards these days is around 90-100*C ... when you hit these temps, start to worry.
m
l
a b U Graphics card
a b K Overclocking
January 30, 2013 3:20:44 AM

Rusty1983 said:
80*C is hot, but nothing to really worry about.. Tj- Max on most cards these days is around 90-100*C ... when you hit these temps, start to worry.

Other folks pointed that out already, still, thanks. :D  I've monitored my temps and they basically never went past 85* even after sustained bouts of gaming.

I think I fixed the problem already by reseating my card on its slot again. Went back to the latest drivers and been seeing how it goes. So far so good.
m
l
!