Will this CPU work on this Motherboard?

GuardKnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

roonj

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2009
Yes, those work together
Cpu's are called processors, chipsets are usually permanently mounted on the motherboard.
The board you selected uses the amd 770 northbridge and amd 710 southbridge chipset's.

randomkid

Distinguished
Hello GuardKnight,
The answer to your question is yes. But I do not see those two as the ideal combination. If you will tell us what you intend to do, either (a) Build a new PC with all new components or (c) just upgrade an existing build, we can help you more towards making the most of your PC purchase.

GuardKnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
Thankyou for the information. I am upgrading an existing build. I plan on making it better at playing games.

Really the only thing that I need in the new mobo is the am3 slot to work with higher tech processors while keeping ddr2 ram I am currently using.

I also really don't plan on using more then one gpu with crossfirex.

Also, are there any case requirements or such for installing a
motherboard?

Should I settle for a different cpu or mobo? I figured a quad core would be a large improvement from my SINGLE CORE AMD ATHLON 64 3200+ 2 GHZ.

My current decent gaming build:
Radeon 4650 512MB
1.5GB DDR2 RAM
Windows XP
ATHLON 3200 2 GHZ SINGLE CORE SAVIOR CPU YEEE
280 power supply rofl

GuardKnight

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010
I don't think you'll be able to replace that motherboard.

I'm not sure if that's even a standard ATX power supply and how are you going to install the I/O shield from the new motherboard?

I would suggesting building or buying a new computer, there's really nothing you can use from that computer, it's too old.

Or you could pick up a used Athlon X2 on Ebay or something, but you'll need to contact Dell tech support and find out what cpu's you can use on that board.
Would this power supply work with the mobo? http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817154026&cm_re=power_supply-_-17-154-026-_-Product

I don't want to spend so much money to build a new computer. I am just upgrading low buget to a decent gaming build.

It is my goal to turn this Dell into a computer.

iedgar10

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2010

Hey,

if you're sure that amount of RAM works for you (and it works with your new mobo) and all you want is to replace your mobo all you technically need to do is make sure you get a case that works. I've heard Dell has some odd shaped MOBOs so it might not fit- i'm not sure. But to be on the safe side why not just add in a ATX case and a PSU? I've seen Antec BASIQ PSU 350w PSU that are cheap + u can find a case for really cheap. Then you can just use your hdd, ram, dvd, and video card from your current computer. It would add about $80

http://www.newegg.com/product/product.aspx?item=N82E16817371003 - Antec psu $30

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811233037 - Gigabyte case $50 (shipping included)

plus your cpu + mobo

You would essentially get a new computer and your case would remove future expansion limitations. Don't go too excited though b/c i think the case i showed you would have a greater expansion capability than your current one but not unlimited lol
One thing to keep in mind is your OS. if your OS is OEM from Dell then I'm pretty sure you won't be able to change MOBO+CPU b/c the OS will lock up. But someone else might be able to help you get around that issue. I once had sony desktop and it got a new mobo and XP wouldn't update anymore and all sorts of funny things happend but I called MS and they fixed the validation issues but I never told them I got a new mobo (they didn't ask :) )

btw I've only built one computer so I'm not a pro. If any body finds a flaw with my theory feel free to point it out :)- just trying to help