gibbsrs

Distinguished
Jul 5, 2007
Hey I'm running a Gigabyte P35-DS3R and I'm getting ready to re-format. I'm looking at getting a crucial M4 since I've read a lot of articles (one here, and elsewhere) that a SSD as my OS drive might boost my basic system performance (boot & load times, etc). Anyway I guess that's not really the point of my question... my questions are:

1. I've read that ACHI is very important with SSDs, I'm pretty sure that ICH9R doesn't support AHCI, but I'm pretty sure the gigabyte controller on the board does. Can any confirm and/or have used a SSD on a similar P35 Gigabyte board?
2. What's the easiest way to install the driver. I'm pretty sure you can install RAID/ACHI drivers from a USB in a Win 7 Install? (I have no floppy drive)
3. Anyone think that this is a complete waste of money??? I'll probably do a full upgrade in the next 1.5-2 years. But I'll be able to take the SSD with me in any case... that's my reasoning anyway.

Thoughts?

Thanks in advance for the advice,
RG in Canada

Full System:
GA-P35-DS3R
Q6600 OC'd to 3.2GHz
8GB RAM
GTX460
Win 7 x64

welshmousepk

Distinguished
I bought a fairly cheap intel SSD (in my sig) last time i re-built. I don't think i could ever go back to a primary HDD.

Boot times are insanely quick, opening programs like the web browser or media player happen instantly.
I also turn my PC off far more often, as I know it only takes 20 seconds to boot into windows.
would certainly recommend it.

funguseater

Distinguished
Yeah SSD's are where its @.

Keep your data on a HDD and it won't get lost if your SSD takes a crap, although I have never had a problem, been using a ADATA 599 128GB for about a year now, and I could NEVER go back. Using the PC's at work is almost painful. And yes you do lose some storage capacity to drive optimization... but so what the drives are smokin fast and why would you need more than 128GB for your OS/Office/ and a couple of games.