Sign in with
Your question

1600 MHz CAS 7 vs 1800MHz CAS 8

Tags:
  • Memory
Last response: in Memory
June 5, 2010 10:25:16 AM

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=27...

vs

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/6GB-3x-2GB-PC3-14400-DDR3-1800MHZ...

It seems that the first one attains it's speed at 1.5-1.6 v where as the second requires 1.8

I know that probably means something very significant, but i don't know what exactly...

More about : 1600 mhz cas 1800mhz cas

a c 82 } Memory
June 5, 2010 11:43:46 AM

What CPU? Newer Intel processors require 1.65V or less RAM. The first set is rated at CAS 9, but they show better timings, but they don't indicate what voltage was used on their AMD platform. I'd pass on the second kit. The Samsung kit should be fine as long as it requires 1.65V or less (preferably 1.5V) at those timings.
Related resources
June 5, 2010 1:31:47 PM

GhislainG said:
What CPU? Newer Intel processors require 1.65V or less RAM. The first set is rated at CAS 9, but they show better timings, but they don't indicate what voltage was used on their AMD platform. I'd pass on the second kit. The Samsung kit should be fine as long as it requires 1.65V or less (preferably 1.5V) at those timings.

i7, so that leaves the first kit or the samsung, I've just learned that the Samsung is actually sent from South Korea, even though it lists UK as item location, so the 4-14 days postage is probably going to be closer to 14.

I am hoping to get the RAM by the end of next week, so the first kit is preferable, i am wondering which is the best of these two choices in term of performance?

The samsung is also 10 pounds more expensive which is another thing to consider.
a c 82 } Memory
June 5, 2010 2:33:09 PM

It's up to you. I'd definitely ask a few questions before ordering the first kit. In particular, I'd ask about the spec "Cas Latency : 9 Timing 7-7-7-22" as that doesn't make sense to me. I'd want to know what voltage was used to get them running at 1600MHz and 7-7-7-22 timings. Can't you buy quality RAM from a reputable store in UK?
June 5, 2010 6:33:26 PM

GhislainG said:
It's up to you. I'd definitely ask a few questions before ordering the first kit. In particular, I'd ask about the spec "Cas Latency : 9 Timing 7-7-7-22" as that doesn't make sense to me. I'd want to know what voltage was used to get them running at 1600MHz and 7-7-7-22 timings. Can't you buy quality RAM from a reputable store in UK?

I could, but it would cost twice as much to get that speed and CAS latency, i used this seller when i bought a computer earlier this year, the ram was speced as advertised, i even returned a kit to him after i decided i wanted a different one.

My best guess would be that there would be less vetting for quality control, so you have more a chance of buying bad ram from him than you would from a major brand, i expect that the problem would be the same with the same samsung kit also.

There are many advantages to buying branded ram, but i'm personally willing to accept some risks in exchange for them to save a bit of money, this system i'm building is hopefully going to be a sub 750 pound gift for my (a lot younger) brother that can play virtually all games smoothly, i currently use branded ram in my system, which i put in there mostly for prestige and convenience, i needed it on a particular day and so i walked into a store and bought them.

a c 82 } Memory
June 5, 2010 6:43:19 PM

If you dealt with that seller before, then the risks are minimized.
June 6, 2010 4:12:12 PM

Well, that may be true, but now that i think about it i don't fancy trying my luck twice, i need to put this system together by wednesday in anycase, i suspect both of the sellers are foreign sellers listing false item locations to attract buyers., delivery would take too long for me in this instance.

I'll just purchase some corsair dominators 2x2gb from an online retailer that offer next day delivery

IS there really any difference between dual channel and triple channel kits?

Would 3x1 gb be faster than 2x2gb?

a c 82 } Memory
June 6, 2010 4:54:47 PM

On a triple channel mode motherboard (X58 chipset) 3x1GB might be slightly faster; otherwise 2x2GB in dual channel mode will be faster. If running Vista or Windows 7, 4GB is preferred over 3GB.
June 6, 2010 5:26:12 PM

It is x58, 3 dimms don't work if that makes any difference, there are 3 more availible.

Will be running Windows 7 Home Premium.

I guess i could upgrade to 3x2gb if i want triple channel benefits.
a c 82 } Memory
June 6, 2010 5:44:32 PM

On an X58 motherboard I'd start with 3x2GB or 3x4GB if you need 12GB. Three or six modules are required for triple channel mode, but it's easier to drive three modules.
June 6, 2010 6:37:54 PM

Okay then, thankyou for all your help.
!