Sign in with
Your question

Computer won't boot up from standby mode no power lights, or display on screen

Last response: in Windows XP
June 2, 2012 5:33:13 PM

Hello,
I put my computer in standby mode. This morning the monitor is off and will not reboot. The screen is black, the mouse is off. I don't know what to do to get the computer on.
June 2, 2012 6:15:32 PM

rubypjohnson said:
Hello,
I put my computer in standby mode. This morning the monitor is off and will not reboot. The screen is black, the mouse is off. I don't know what to do to get the computer on.

Boot from Windows CD and repair the OS. - In future do not use standby - Buggy and many people report the same issue not only in XP but other OS's.
Use power options to turn off HDD & monitor instead.
m
l
June 2, 2012 6:41:16 PM

physically remove power from the computer, then reapply power. press the power button to turn the computer back on.
m
l
Related resources
June 3, 2012 2:06:25 AM

nhasian said:
physically remove power from the computer, then reapply power. press the power button to turn the computer back on.

Did this before I sought advice here.Unplugged every cable from computer, unplugged electrical outlet. Plugged up again after 5 minutes and got no response. Depressed on-off switch for five minutes. Hit F8 button constantly for 5 minutes. Nothingl
m
l
June 3, 2012 7:48:58 AM

rubypjohnson said:
Did this before I sought advice here.Unplugged every cable from computer, unplugged electrical outlet. Plugged up again after 5 minutes and got no response. Depressed on-off switch for five minutes. Hit F8 button constantly for 5 minutes. Nothingl

Switch off power supply. Ground your self by touching to metal part & open your pc case . There is 2 terminal pin in mobo that label as power. This cable connection are connect to push button that let you start your pc. Remove this cable & use test pen to short the two pin that are removed & switch on electrical supply. If pc boot ok, turn off pc & put back everything & try to start pc normally.
m
l
June 10, 2012 12:40:52 AM

Finally called computer tech. The power box was gone. As soon as he put in a new one, the computer started smelling like wires burning. He said the mother board was gone. Now I'm looking for a new desk top computer.
m
l
!