Toshiba recovery CD problem "Extraction failed"

Last response: in Laptops & Notebooks
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2004 11:50:15 PM

Hi --

When trying to sweep clean my Toshiba laptop by reverting to the factory
configuration using the recovery CD, I encountered the following error
message:

"ERROR! Extraction failed"

Nothing works from this point on.

Does anyone have an idea on how to solve this problem? Any advice will be
highly appreciated.

Anne Highsmith
Anonymous
a b D Laptop
June 26, 2004 11:50:16 PM

"B. Peg" <bent*pegs69noospam*@att.net> wrote in message news:<1jkDc.142119$Gx4.55707@bgtnsc04-news.ops.worldnet.att.net>...
> Have you, by any chance, upgraded the Toshiba Bios to a newer version since
> you bought the machine?
> This is what kept mine from reloading the ghost image back into the machine.
> You might be able to roll the bios back if they still show it, else you may
> find buying a new (not upgrade) version of XP easier.
> There was some post on the web about a way you could type in a Dos command
> line with a few switches and get the Toshiba disks to reinstall. You may
> Google it and find it. I know I saved it somewhere but my CD filing system
> isn't too cool nor organized and I have since trashed the Toshiba to and HP
> Pavilion.
>
> Good luck.
>
> B~
Had the same problem on a older 1625CDT. Recovery CD worked about 2/3
way through failed. I finially just found the right drivers on the
Toshiba site and used my own Windows 98SE(is the original OS on the
1625) played like a champ. Now using Mandrake 9.2 OS and am the
happiest I have ever been with this laptop.
No more M$ on this Toshiba.
GR
!