Help with route command (Unless there is another way)

Shadow Wizard

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2009
I have a bit of an issue. I know what I need to do to solve it (Use route command) but not exactly what the command should be. Here is how it will be set up..

Internet Connection 1 (Various ip's)----- Computer ----- LAN router (192.168.0.101) ------ Internet Connection 2 (Various IP's)

In case the diagram is confusing "Computer" connects directly to a modem, and thus the internet, It is also connected to a router (Via a different network card) The router is connected to the internet. So essentially "Computer" has 2 paths to the internet, through 2 network cards.

"Computer" has 2 network cards. Of course there are various other computers connected to the router, but that should be irrelevant. What I want is for "computer" to use Internet Connection 1 for ALL internet traffic. If Connection 1 goes down, that computer has NO internet. All other traffic will route through the router, and the various other computers in the home. The IP address of computers connected to the router is 192.168.0.2-255 The router ip address is 192.168.0.1. "Computer" runs windows xp pro sp3.

I would also like to know if there is a way to make it so "Computer" would use internet connection 1 all the time if available, and if not, then use internet connection, but to NEVER use connection 2 for internet if connection 1 is available.

vibe

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I'm not sure of how you would setup "computer" to do this the "propper" way but you may have an option on the router side to block all outgoing connections for a specific IP or hostname. This would require manualy removing should the 1st ISP go down for some reason.