Need advice for a 3D rendering computer
Is an i7 processor the best to go for 3D rendering? Should I focus on harddrive speed coupled with a 2ms monitor? I can't afford one of those quadro fx cards so I'm thinking to focus on the graphics card last?
1. No need for a 2ms LCD unless doing intensive gaming.
2. No need for a workstation GPU unless you are doing this for a living.
3. For a low budget, a Phenom II X4 or Athlon II X4 should fit the bill if you can't get an i5.
4. A good HDD like the Samsung F3 should be fine.
5. List budget and rendering programs (Maya,3ds,etc)
The main source of work is motion graphics with 3D elements used. I do use Maya, 3DS, Lightwave, C4d but primarily to compliment After Effects. These will be industry level quality and the budget is $900-$1000.
Also, I do not know the technical part of monitors but I do feel a big difference in speed between a 2ms and say a 5ms monitor when I put down brush strokes on my wacom. Might be an issue specific on the monitors I tested on, I don't know.
$1000 without monitor.
I was having a conversation with a buddy of mine who does some networking for computers and he says the ms response time on a monitor isn't important but the travel time in the cable from monitor to PC. He says manufacturers do not list this speed on their boxes so it is impossible to know unless you do some benchmarks.
Is this true? I would require a monitor that translates from the PC as fast as possible, and what would that be called?
He is more or less correct. The ms time measures the LCDs response time. Currently Anandtech is down so I can't link you to their extensive guide on LCDs.
But anyways, for $1000:
ASUS P6T SE
1x 500GB Samsung F3 (OS) and 1x 1TB Samsung F3 (Data)
HAF 922 , HAF 932 , Antec 900, Antec 300 any one of these should work. Or if on a tight budget: NZXT Beta EVO: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5310940&sku=A406-1098
ATI 4650 since you arn't gaming (see note below)*
Antec EA650, Corsair 650TX or if you want modular Corsair 750HX
If OCing: Core Contact Freezer 120mm with LGA1366 bracket.
* As for GPU, if you can find an old 8800GTX,GTS,etc you can softmod them in to workstation cards. Cards after the 8800s can't do this.