Sign in with
Your question

P6T SE vs P6T Deluxe

Last response: in Motherboards
June 6, 2010 12:35:26 AM

I have most of the parts for the computer I am building with the exception of the graphics card, operating system, and anti-virus.

The specs include the following

Core i7 930
ASUS P6T SE LGA 1366
Patriot 6GB DDR3 1333 MHz Tri-channel
Corsair TX850 850W PSU
Coolermaster HAF 932 case
ZALMAN CNPS9900 CPU cooler
2TB 7200RPM Hitachi HDD

I have my eyes on either a GeForce GTX 480 or Sapphire Radeon HD 5870 Vapor-X. The hardware store I bought all of my parts from does not carry the HD 5870, so I'll most likely have no choice but to go with the Fermi.

The OS I want is W7HP 64-bit

The ASUS P6T SE motherboard that was part of a CPU/motherboard bundle. It was not my initial choice.

Is the P6T SE a low quality motherboard? How much better is the P6T Deluxe V2 than the SE?

More about : p6t p6t deluxe

a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 2:53:04 AM

"So what differentiates this board from the many other ASUS P6 motherboards on the market? The P6T SE is one of the few X58 motherboards currently available on the open market, which does not support SLI out of the box. Balancing that out is the lesser pricing on the board compared to other X58 boards and the multitude of tweaks the board has available through the BIOS."
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1887_1...
So if you plan on doing SLI in the future, then don't take this motherboard since it supports only Crossfire.

On the otherhand, the 6T Deluxe V2 supports both Crossfire & SLI. But it is more expensive. It might be worth it to still get the ASUS P6T SE and just get the 5870 elsewhere if you plan on doing multiple GPU at all.
June 6, 2010 5:19:37 AM

randomkid said:
"So what differentiates this board from the many other ASUS P6 motherboards on the market? The P6T SE is one of the few X58 motherboards currently available on the open market, which does not support SLI out of the box. Balancing that out is the lesser pricing on the board compared to other X58 boards and the multitude of tweaks the board has available through the BIOS."
http://www.motherboards.org/reviews/motherboards/1887_1...
So if you plan on doing SLI in the future, then don't take this motherboard since it supports only Crossfire.

On the otherhand, the 6T Deluxe V2 supports both Crossfire & SLI. But it is more expensive. It might be worth it to still get the ASUS P6T SE and just get the 5870 elsewhere if you plan on doing multiple GPU at all.

There isn't any performance difference? The only thing the P6T Deluxe V2 offers is SLI support? I heard the P6T SE had some technical problems which sometimes caused system crashes.

Doesn't the ASUS TurboV tool allow you to overclock in windows desktop instead of typically through the BIOS? Like the AMD overdrive utility?
Related resources
a b V Motherboard
June 6, 2010 5:32:17 AM

I am not familiar with the ASUS OC tool since I never had an ASUS myself. But overclocking is always best done thru the BIOS... It is not difficult once you get the hang of it.
June 7, 2010 2:01:02 AM

I was hoping to buy the EVGA X58 Classified E-ATX motherboard, but $400 for a mobo was out of my budget. I don't like the slot placements on the ASUS P6T SE. If I wanted to buy a PCIe 1x sound card in the future, it would be located physically to close to the graphics card and would get toasted by the radiant heat or become physically obstructed.
a b V Motherboard
June 7, 2010 1:46:13 PM

$400 for a motherboard does not sound reasonable to me too...

Actually, you don't have to worry about the PCIe1x sound card because you can place it on the third long PCIe Slot which is an x4. It will work just fine there and allow you a good distance from the GPU.
June 8, 2010 4:55:08 AM

randomkid said:
$400 for a motherboard does not sound reasonable to me too...

Actually, you don't have to worry about the PCIe1x sound card because you can place it on the third long PCIe Slot which is an x4. It will work just fine there and allow you a good distance from the GPU.

Thanks! I went to a PC store and I asked them this question, and they confirmed it.

Off-topic, but what is the difference between these Two sound cards?

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...

And

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 8:17:08 AM

A quick look show that the more expensive one will be louder by 2DB ( but it doesn't matter much, I say because it still depends on your speaker system).

But, ah... sound card is not my department since I am just using the onboard. You might want to raise that question in a new thread.

June 8, 2010 10:44:17 AM

The P6T Deluxe V2 has a dual-gigabit LAN, as well as some other features that the SE doesn't have. What is the advantage of a dual gigabit LAN?
a b V Motherboard
June 8, 2010 12:16:12 PM

^It allows you to define two IP addresses for your PC and be member of different subnet. For normal/personal use, one LAN port is sufficient.
June 8, 2010 12:34:49 PM

randomkid said:
^It allows you to define two IP addresses for your PC and be member of different subnet. For normal/personal use, one LAN port is sufficient.

What are some of the other features which the P6T Deluxe V2 offers over the SE? If I were to get a different X58 motherboard in place of my ASUS P6T SE, what would you recommend? I would like something which is suited for gaming.
!