xp sp2 network card/conection

September 12, 2004 4:26:43 AM

I have 2 computers networked together on a 10/100 the
main running xp, the other win98. I downloaded the xpsp2
and since then the network card has disapeared of the
device manager yet the poters can still file share and
resourse share but the win 98 puter cannot browse the net
any more, have tried to run network setup wizard but it
says no network card is found ?? and anywon help?
Anonymous
September 12, 2004 2:05:05 PM

andy wrote on 12-Sep-2004 12:26 AM:
> I have 2 computers networked together on a 10/100 the
> main running xp, the other win98. I downloaded the xpsp2
> and since then the network card has disapeared of the
> device manager yet the poters can still file share and
> resourse share but the win 98 puter cannot browse the net
> any more, have tried to run network setup wizard but it
> says no network card is found ?? and anywon help?

I have seen some Dell Optiplex systems with Intel network adapters on
the motherboard that have temporary adapter issues with SP2, even when
these systems are fresh out of the box as SP1a and upgraded to SP2
immediately before being brought into service. Only some of identical
systems have this trouble.

Usually, the adapter shows with a yellow-bang (exclamation mark) in the
device manager. Delete the adapter, reboot, and usually the adapter will
come up OK. It doesn't appear to be old software, but some configuration
problem.

In your case, I recommend rebooting until the adapter shows up. If it
shows up yellow, delete it and reboot. If it shows up OK, leave it
alone, but be suspicious and check it if you have further trouble. It
might need to be deleted after all.

If the error was a bit more stable, I could file a bug report.

--
Kent W. England, Microsoft MVP for Windows Security
Anonymous

"Kent W. England [MVP]" <kwe@mvps.org> wrote in message news:<uSifgqOmEHA.3896@TK2MSFTNGP15.phx.gbl>...
> andy wrote on 12-Sep-2004 12:26 AM:
> > I have 2 computers networked together on a 10/100 the
> > main running xp, the other win98. I downloaded the xpsp2
> > and since then the network card has disapeared of the
> > device manager yet the poters can still file share and
> > resourse share but the win 98 puter cannot browse the net
> > any more, have tried to run network setup wizard but it
> > says no network card is found ?? and anywon help?
>
> I have seen some Dell Optiplex systems with Intel network adapters on
> the motherboard that have temporary adapter issues with SP2, even when
> these systems are fresh out of the box as SP1a and upgraded to SP2
> immediately before being brought into service. Only some of identical
> systems have this trouble.
>
> Usually, the adapter shows with a yellow-bang (exclamation mark) in the
> device manager. Delete the adapter, reboot, and usually the adapter will
> come up OK. It doesn't appear to be old software, but some configuration
> problem.
>
> In your case, I recommend rebooting until the adapter shows up. If it
> shows up yellow, delete it and reboot. If it shows up OK, leave it
> alone, but be suspicious and check it if you have further trouble. It
> might need to be deleted after all.
>
> If the error was a bit more stable, I could file a bug report.

I have the same problem, I did find the adapter on the device manager,
if you go into device manager and click on view at the top and put a
tick next to show hidden devices, mine then pops up but the drivers
are all wrong, when I tried to update them it just disables them. it's
!