Sign in with
Your question

Intel 975XBX2 with E6400 homebuild - upgrade options?

Tags:
  • Homebuilt
  • Intel
  • Processors
  • Systems
  • Product
Last response: in Systems
November 27, 2009 8:48:06 PM

Hey everyone,

I have a home built system based on an Intel 975XBX2 with E6400 Core 2 Processor, Radeon X1650 graphics, 2GB RAM, SATA RAID1, Antec P180 case, lots of effort spent on making it quiet, etc... When I built the system 3 years ago it was perfect for my needs and I spent about $2000 putting it together.

Now I'm considering going from XP to Windows 7 and I know the system won't be seeing any speed improvements with the OS upgrade.

Is this base system worth salvaging at this point? I want to know if processor, RAM, and/or Graphics card upgrades would be sufficient to get a few more years out of this system and make it run quickly on Windows 7.

I know a new i7 based system would be ideal but I'm alraedy putting one of those together to the tune of about $1500 and can't swing buying two of them, so I want to stretch the life of this one out as far as I can.

Thanks!

More about : intel 975xbx2 e6400 homebuild upgrade options

a b B Homebuilt system
November 27, 2009 9:13:25 PM

Performance may increase (usage wise) because of more caching and prefetch etc, but benchmarks will drop a little if anything (ignoring the first few weeks with that "fresh" install feeling etc)

You could overclock that CPU (raise the FSB to 1600/400 to get 3.2ghz) and get a new video card (GTS250 or 5770 etc) and pack the system with 8gb for a decent upgrade, otherwise you will have to do more drastic steps to get more performance (new motherboard, cpu, video etc)
a c 122 B Homebuilt system
a b å Intel
November 27, 2009 11:05:51 PM

As soon as the upgrade price passes about $100 not counting video card (after all, that's portable to a new build), it's time to consider a new motherboard and CPU.

After all, your motherboard is about three generations behind - 975, P35/X38, P45/X48, P55/X58.
Related resources
November 27, 2009 11:12:43 PM

Thanks for both of your replies. Would you say this is still a fairly viable system? I know it's not a stellar performer based on what could be bought for $1500 today, but it can still hold it's own on Windows 7, right?

JSC mentioned that my motherboard is three generations behind, so I suspect putting the fastest CPU that this motherboard will handle would be a waste of money??? Overclocking might be a better (and free) option.

If this were your system would you buy 8GB of RAM and a new Video Card or just leave it alone and see how long it takes to get frustrated with Windows 7? (I don't do any gaming, but I do mess with video and audio and I have very little patience for waiting on my computer to respond).

November 30, 2009 2:14:14 PM

Smhyde,

To determine if your current computer configuration will be compatible with Windows 7 please go to the following link: http://tinyurl.com/no4xb7

Jessica
Microsoft Windows Client Team

!