Abnormally high temps on i5 2500k and Corsair H60

vulcain7

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hello,

I am the proud owner of an i5 2500k running on a Gigabyte Z68X UD3P-B3, and have been using it for a few months now, it runs just great and I also got it a Corsair H60 watercooling solution when I first built my rig.

I would run my system with these temps on my CPU with C1E enabled: idle @ 1.6Ghz: 21-29C, load @ 3.30Ghz: 37-40C.

I then decided to pump the clocks up a bit 2 months ago, and I simply played with the BIOS and changed the multiplier to x41. Everything has been running just fine and stable.

My problem is, I would usually keep very low idle temps, around 30C @1.6Ghz, but lately as of 2 days ago, my temps have been abnormally high (36-41C idle @1.6Ghz, and over 58C at 25% load..), and it seems, completely out of the blue.

I then thought it might have been my thermal compound that just dried up or started wearing out, so I replaced the thermal compound, but I am getting the exact same temps.

So I thought, maybe a voltage isn't right, a little too high or something, which led me to load fail-safe settings in my BIOS and put stock speeds and voltages back (1.225V for Vcore with my BIOS) . But no luck.

Thanks in advance.

vulcain7

Honorable
May 5, 2012
About 65~70C after an hour of Prime95 @ 3.30Ghz/1.225Vcore. I know they may not seem very high but compared to the 21-29C idle temps I would get before, I'm wondering where these extra degrees came from even after renewing thermal compound twice with the line method and the thin layer evenly spread method, and so far the thin layer method seems to be working the best.

Also my H60 is running in a Push/Pull configuration with a 1300RPM intake and a 1700RPM exhaust when used at 100%.

And thanks for your reply, I am a little bit OCD about how well my system performs and this is boggling my mind.

vulcain7

Honorable
May 5, 2012
Hmm okay I will retry it, should I put two tiny dots on each core and have the CPU Block spread it? Or right in the center?

rubix_1011

Contributing Writer
Those temps are probably about right for that cooler, clock speeds and ambient room temps.

My stock i7-2600 will easily reach mid to upper 50's Celsius on a full watercooling loop w/ 4-5C delta-T using Intel Burn Test. Most CPU stress tests are meant to determine stability and extreme-limit cooling needs. Also remember that reported temps by your CPU are not the same as the water/coolant temps in your cooler. Ambient temps are related to the water temps as a product of your cooler's delta-T.

Oropher

Honorable
Feb 21, 2012

Thats interesting. I'm running an i5-2500k @ 4.53 with a CM Hyper 212 evo and in Prime95 my temps hit around 67C give or take 1-2C, (I'm running it now and I'm only at 63) according to HWmonitor. I used the spreading method for my thermal paste and it's worked fine for me. I don't know anything about water cooling though.