Newly Built Hangs on Verifying DMI Pool Data

ssalem47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Powered up newly built system and got into BIOS first time. Poked around, verified hardware recognition, temperatures OK, etc. Turned it off and back on. Might have hit an inappropriate key - not sure. Now hangs at "Verifying DMI Pool Data. Data Change ... Update New Data to DMI". I can't get into the BIOS, let alone get set up to load Windows.

Motherboard is GIGABYTE GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H. Phenom II X4 955 BE. Pair of WD Caviar Black 640 GB, Optiarc 24X DVD/CD.

Have I somehow messed up some DMI table, or do I possibly have some sort of hardware problem? How do I get things unstuck?

jakesbuddy

Distinguished
May 18, 2009
The same thing happened to me with my first build six months ago. I also have a Gigabyte motherboard, the GA-EP45C-UD3R. What I had to do was clear the CMOS, which restores the factory settings to the BIOS. Look in the manual that came with the motherboard and find the location of your CMOS reset. On mine it is two pins sticking up from the motherboard, and you clear it by touching a screwdriver (or something else metal, like a paperclip) to both at the same time, which will complete the circuit. Make sure your system is unplugged when you do this. The BIOS will be restored to factory defaults, which should solve your problem...Hope this helps, it drove me crazy when it happened to me...

ssalem47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009

Thanks for the suggestion. I tried this twice with no luck. Still end up stuck at the same "Verifying DMI Pool Data Data Change ... Update New Data to DMI", which is followed after a few seconds with " ... Boot Failure, Insert System Disk and Press Enter". I also removed the battery for two minutes to clear the CMOS. Same result. Twice now I also had a POST error, but the screen changed before I could write down what it said. Maybe I have a hardware problem?

ssalem47

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2009
Newbie mistake. The process of clearing the CMOS did apparently work. Put the Windows disk in the DVD drive and it has started to load windows. Still don't understand why my frequent jabs at the "Delete" key didn't drop me into BIOS setup during boot. Maybe the Phenom II X4 955 is too fast for me?

False_Dmitry_II

Distinguished
That just depends on the motherboards timing. I saw one that you have to be doing it as you hit the on button because of how fast it went by. I was setting up the software side of a new build for a friend (he can only really do the hardware side, whereas I can do it all). So I was using an ancient 15 in monitor, so it didn't even come up until after the part where you were supposed to hit it.

denkile

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2009
GA-MA785GPMT-UD2H (Rev.1.0) BOIS F7: SATA-AHCI (not-RAID) Does NOT Work.
'Have the problem described above: with SATA and AHCI BIOS settings
it does not boot ...stops at: Update... DMI!
Gigabyte Technical Support: 1. Does not have a FAQ for this issue.
2. In written GTS support they will not state a fix but ask more questions and
obsufcate and say to call (not toll-free). 3. By telephone they say
to do a "clean install" with SATA and AHCI BIOS settings and install
the raid driver at F6. This did not wotk for me.
Furthermore Windows (XP Pro SP3) Hardware > Device Manager > IDE Controllers
do not show any SATA controllers and no AMD/ATI drivers can be installed...
just the original Microsoft drivers in the IDE ATA Controllers. For two older MOBOs
I setup in SATA and AHCI without installing RAID drivers.
Seems this MOBO is defective. Gigabyte returns/RMA is not responsive to
requests for RMA for another MOBO that does not have this defect.
I do not want to return it and get she same defect back.