Solved

Kinsgton Hyper X 240GB SSD Storage with Kingston Hyper X 120gb SSD for OS/Progam

New Build considering storage and OS drive.....mostly for 3D Cad/Cam and photoshop work non gamer

Motherboard Asus P8P67 WS Revolution Rev. 3
CPU Intel I7-2600K
Ram 16 GB Kingston Hyper X

HDD 2 WD Caviar Black 500GB Sata 3 for storage/backup

Kingston Hyper X 240 GB SSD Sata 3

I was going with the Kingston SSD for OS/PRograms then got to thinking after all the reviews I've read of SSD that one would lose the read/write advantage if using HDD as storage for files as you'd be back to the latency and read/write specs of traditional harddrive which is really counter productive in Cad/Cam work or Photoshop if editing files and saving and so on....so considering this........which is more an experiment than truly cost effiecent.

Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Sata 3 for boot OS/Programs and the Kingston Hyper X 240GB SSD Sata3 for working storage of files with the HDD raid set as final storage and backup ....... of course an external back up as well.

Curious to thoughts
5 answers Last reply Best Answer
More about kinsgton hyper 240gb storage kingston hyper 120gb progam
  1. bob_83 said:
    Kingston Hyper X 120GB SSD Sata 3 for boot OS/Programs and the Kingston Hyper X 240GB SSD Sata3 for working storage of files with the HDD raid set as final storage and backup ....... of course an external back up as well.

    Curious to thoughts


    Sounds like a good plan.

    Make sure to connect your SSDs in AHCI mode to the Intel 6Gb/s ports rather than the Marvell 6Gb/s ports for maximum performance.
  2. Dereck47 said:
    Sounds like a good plan.

    Make sure to connect your SSDs in AHCI mode to the Intel 6Gb/s ports rather than the Marvell 6Gb/s ports for maximum performance.



    Thanks Derek47

    Wrote another thread in Storage and General discusion, new to the SSD sceme of things and it seems to me if using an HDD as working storage for files while SSD is OS/Program only is much like a Hybrid drive fast boot and progam starts but all is lost when opening, saving files to the HDD's ability's expecialy when actualy working on files all day rather than just games.

    Your time was appreciated as is any other thoughts you may wish to share
  3. bob_83 said:
    Wrote another thread in Storage and General discusion, new to the SSD sceme of things and it seems to me if using an HDD as working storage for files while SSD is OS/Program only is much like a Hybrid drive fast boot and progam starts but all is lost when opening, saving files to the HDD's ability's expecialy when actualy working on files all day rather than just games.


    That may be true but I thought you were going to use your 120GB SSD as your O/S and your 240GB SSD for your working files?
    In that scenario you have no bottleneck; you would only have reduced performance when backing up your work to your HDD RAID array.
  4. Best answer
    Depending on how big the project you are working on is, you could just have one 240GB ssd which you use for OS/Applications/Working projects, with the HDD being for backing stuff up. Depending on the software and depending on the size of the project (as well as number of projects you work on concurrently), everything is going to either be in RAM or on your Drive when you are working on it. I believe Video Editing benefits quite a bit from having a big SSD.

    You ultimately understand your position the best. Your new build could be what is best for you.
  5. Best answer selected by bob_83.
Ask a new question

Read More

SSD Kingston Storage