Sign in with
Your question

How to use my computer at home to bypass a proxy?

Last response: in Networking
November 26, 2009 2:27:46 PM

I'm a doctor and as such I have to make night shifts. Some lucky times there's nothing to do for hours and I spend them on the net.

Recently (not more than 3 months ago), my workplace has blocked all of the news sites. Even Slashdot! Blocking is usually made on a hourly basis, with browsing almost wide open between 16h and 8h (when only those on night shifts remain), but nowadays only news sites are blocked 24/7.

Funny thing is that they don't block facebook or youtube at all. I know the proxy server controls many hospitals in the area and it uses a 3rd party blacklisting service that classifies sites from all over the world. I've sent them emails about the blocking nonsense, but they're your typical bureaucrat sysadmin.

Obvioulsy, most remote browsing services that I can find online to bypass proxies are blocked almost instantly.

I'd like to set up such a service at home. I've been able to detect my home IP using gmail and use my computer from my workplace with VNC or other remote services. What I'd like to do is set up a sort of proxy server that can run over a single ADSL connection and let me browse those dangerous and forbidden news sites

At home I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks for the suggestions.
December 11, 2009 5:17:06 AM

malavena said:
I'm a doctor and as such I have to make night shifts. Some lucky times there's nothing to do for hours and I spend them on the net.

Recently (not more than 3 months ago), my workplace has blocked all of the news sites. Even Slashdot! Blocking is usually made on a hourly basis, with browsing almost wide open between 16h and 8h (when only those on night shifts remain), but nowadays only news sites are blocked 24/7.

Funny thing is that they don't block facebook or youtube at all. I know the proxy server controls many hospitals in the area and it uses a 3rd party blacklisting service that classifies sites from all over the world. I've sent them emails about the blocking nonsense, but they're your typical bureaucrat sysadmin.

Obvioulsy, most remote browsing services that I can find online to bypass proxies are blocked almost instantly.

I'd like to set up such a service at home. I've been able to detect my home IP using gmail and use my computer from my workplace with VNC or other remote services. What I'd like to do is set up a sort of proxy server that can run over a single ADSL connection and let me browse those dangerous and forbidden news sites

At home I use Windows 7 and Ubuntu 9.10

Thanks for the suggestions.

If you have XP Pro Or above at home you should be able to enable Remote Desktop

A Lot of IT's use it so the chances it is block at the hospital is slim

as far as knowing your home ip you can use DYNDNS.ORG they have free accounts and you can install a client on your home pc that will report its ip and you can assign a friendly name. (nightdoc.gotdns.com) or whatever .

http://comtek-manhattan-intellinet.com/
December 11, 2009 5:05:12 PM

As someone who did do IT in a hospital, there are reasons news sites are now blocked.

On your home router, enable port forwarding of 3389 UDP and TCP to the 192.168.1.x IP of your computer at home.
From work, you would use Remote Desktop (RDP) to connect to the public IP address you have from your ISP. This would connect you to your home computer where you would be able to browse.

You may want to contact your IT department to ask them to explain how internet surfing can affect you do to the rules of HIPPA. I know doctors get away with more than anyone else in the hospital due to their particular skill set, but government laws don't really see it that way.
!