Sign in with
Your question
Solved

Arctic Silver or Ceramique for a thick layer?

Tags:
Last response: in CPUs
February 9, 2010 3:49:06 AM

My Dell m1530 laptop has a pretty crummy heatsink that simply doesnt sit flush with the CPU no matter what. So, the proper application of a tissue thin layer is not possible. What I get is mismatching core temperatures at high temps simply because there is no contact on half the chip. We are talking like 8-10C, which isnt so bad but its completely unnecessary. Literally, when I do a contact test only half the chip makes contact. I need to put on a thicker layer than what would normally be needed and I wanted to know if Arctic Silver is still the winner in such a case? I wont be all sloppy about it, so the inert property of ceramique isnt so important for me.

Which paste performs better as application gets thicker?
a c 159 à CPUs
February 9, 2010 9:29:31 AM

No. Look for a replacement heatsink on ebay or at newegg.com. Also computer geeks.
m
l
a c 106 à CPUs
February 9, 2010 10:26:10 AM

LAP the heatsink.

More paste isn't the answer.
m
l
Related resources
a c 172 à CPUs
February 9, 2010 10:29:03 AM

das_stig is at least half right. More paste is not the answer.

You need to find out why the heatsink is not fitting properly.
m
l
a c 103 à CPUs
February 9, 2010 10:42:42 AM

Yeah is it possible to tweak the heat sink?

More thermal compound will make it worse not better, thermal compound in excess acts more like an insulator than a conductor of the heat.

My old laptop had heat pipes that went from the CPU heat sink to the rear cooling fan and a slight careful bending tweak got better contact, I stress doing this very carefully if its possible at all.
m
l
February 10, 2010 4:51:33 AM

4Ryan6 said:
Yeah is it possible to tweak the heat sink?

More thermal compound will make it worse not better, thermal compound in excess acts more like an insulator than a conductor of the heat.

My old laptop had heat pipes that went from the CPU heat sink to the rear cooling fan and a slight careful bending tweak got better contact, I stress doing this very carefully if its possible at all.

Well, thats the type of heatsink it is, a pipe system. This IS the replacement heatsink btw, the third one actually. None of them sit right, its just a terrible design. The factory application had a magnificent blob of paste on there. With bending and all the like, I have gotten it to this point where a thin layer gets you half contact. Otherwise, a thin layer would get you zero contact. Anyway, its not possible to get a thin layer 100% contact imo. Im not talking about a blob either, just think paper towel rather than the recommended tissue-translucent. I mean, it cant be nearly as bad as the factory blob of generic.
m
l

Best solution

a c 103 à CPUs
February 10, 2010 10:59:20 AM

mobiusgear1 said:
Well, thats the type of heatsink it is, a pipe system. This IS the replacement heatsink btw, the third one actually. None of them sit right, its just a terrible design. The factory application had a magnificent blob of paste on there. With bending and all the like, I have gotten it to this point where a thin layer gets you half contact. Otherwise, a thin layer would get you zero contact. Anyway, its not possible to get a thin layer 100% contact imo. Im not talking about a blob either, just think paper towel rather than the recommended tissue-translucent. I mean, it cant be nearly as bad as the factory blob of generic.

Then probably the AS5 will work better than the Ceramique in that situation.
February 10, 2010 7:56:20 PM

Best answer selected by Mobiusgear1.
m
l
!